Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Smart ForTwo Pure , 2000, very hard petrol smell

More
2 years 6 months ago #52397 by IulianR
Hello. It's about a Smart ForTwo Pure, year 2000, with a 600cc engine, 40kw, turbo. This car is giving me a hard time.
The MPG is really bad (around 30 with mix driving), and there is a very strong petrol odor in and out of the car. Also the oil level is increasing (it's not coolant, it's petrol).
The first time i looked at the car there were sign that someone did a bad job before. The air filter - turbo hose was replaced with another one with no port for the crankcase breather and it was left in the air. Also there was a huge hole in the hose before the throttle valve. I've fixed those problems and checked lambda, O2 sensor, purge valve and other air leaks. I've also did a relative compression test. Lambda is a bit lean at 1.026 at load. B1S1 O2 sensor moves and reacts good to my rich/lean induced conditions, purge valve does not show any leaks to my vacuum test. The relative compression test was not showing any big differences between the 3 cylinders. All that is left is a very small leak in the intercooler. Injectors dont leak. Ignition coils seem ok compared to each other using my homemade ignition pickup tool :) .
Changed spark plugs, filter and oil, also made a full tank of petrol 98 octane.
Still no success. Oil is over the max level in 150 miles and the gas tank is almost empty. There is still a strong petrol odor outside the car. The exhaust rattles, probably a bad cat, it's the ony DTC it sets (i've forgot the dtc number). B1S2 O2 sensor is a bit "jumpy".
I've made a video with the diagnose. I have no more ideas. 
Tank you for your time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52405 by VegasJAK
Only way for fuel to get into the oil is through the cylinders. With bad fuel economy and heavy fuel smell it's via injectors into the cylinders. Upstream 02's can't be reporting correctly with bad fuel consumption. You're burning out that cat and you will destroy the crank and rod bearing having fuel in the oil.
What is the fuel pressure reading? Check the pressure regulator if it has one. Do back pressure test for plugged exhaust.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: IulianR

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52414 by IulianR
Hello. Fuel pressure is in specs 3.5 bar at idle and at 3000 rpm. If i remove the presure regulator vacuum the pressure rise to 4 bar. I did a back pressure test at the upstream O2 sensor and it's 0.
Every cylinder has 2 spark plugs... insane car!
At the secondary ignition, after the burn line I see some weird oscillations. Can you have a look?

Tank you for your time.

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart1-1.psdata
File Size:171 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart1-2.psdata
File Size:171 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart2-1.psdata
File Size:158 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart2-2.psdata
File Size:167 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart3-1.psdata
File Size:175 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ignsmart3-2.psdata
File Size:174 KB

All in zip  

File Attachment:

File Name: ignitionwaveforms.zip
File Size:1,012 KB

LE:

scannerjohn post=52405
Upstream 02's can't be reporting correctly with bad fuel consumption.

O2 is working good (see in the video). There is no STFT or LTFT, I must work with this Lambda value witch reads a bit lean at 1.026. 

scannerjohn post=52405
Only way for fuel to get into the oil is through the cylinders. With bad fuel economy and heavy fuel smell it's via injectors into the cylinders. 

I've take down the ramp. I'll try more tomorrow. Here is 4 PM and getting dark. Have a nice day!
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by IulianR.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52416 by VegasJAK
check for shorted plug wires. Do a snap throttle test... does the firing lines stay short?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds