Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 F-150 5.0L no spark

More
2 years 6 months ago #52312 by Lakenum09
This is my second attempt to get some help.  Today, I started the engine, ran for about 10 minutes then shut off.  No codes.  Tested for spark at the coil, none.  Tested the coil negative with test light, test light bright, cranked the engine and the light flickered.  Re-checked for spark and now I have it.  Plugged everything back in and now it starts again.  What could be causing this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago #52332 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 1996 F-150 5.0L no spark
All the distributer engines were gone by the time I started fixing cars, so my experience is very minimal.
Maybe you've seen this video from Scanner Danner & Eric the Car Guy?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 6 months ago #52456 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic 1996 F-150 5.0L no spark
With an intermittent issue like that check wiring terminals on the harness and look for chaffed wiring /bare wires. Also check ground wires (from block to battery and block to chassis. If wire terminals are green and crusty replace them. Load test each wire with wiring unplugged from pcm and all sensors and ignition control module (mounted to drivers fender.) Using a 4 amp bulb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago #52458 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 1996 F-150 5.0L no spark
There's a brand new you tube video that may help you as well!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds