Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Charging system voltage

More
2 years 6 months ago #52193 by al514
Hey all, I'm just looking for some ideas of how much, and what kind of damage will a charging system voltage at 15.5v do after a good amount of time. I don't know how long it had the over voltage condition, it may have been some time, years, months, etc. I don't know if it ever went over 15.5, I guess there's a chance of that, of course customers don't always tell the whole story. And I don't really want to get into all the issues it has now because we'll be here all night, but just some general thoughts where an issue like this could lead to. Thanks much. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52202 by Abe_Lincoln
Replied by Abe_Lincoln on topic Charging system voltage
Personally I haven't seen those voltage levels cause problems except for accelerated battery wear. In my experience I've seen charging voltage issues cause problems exceeding 17-18 volts....computers in cars don't like high voltage, and even higher voltage levels will cause permanent damage.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52204 by juergen.scholl

Hey all, I'm just looking for some ideas of how much, and what kind of damage will a charging system voltage at 15.5v do after a good amount of time. 
What charging system/car specifically are you referring to?  Any computer controls involved?

In general life span of components like bulbs may/will be shorted, battery possibly gasses out extremly due to overcharging, exposed to higher than normal temperature will affect adversely is life.....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52205 by ksat22
Replied by ksat22 on topic Charging system voltage
I've heard some charging systems bump the voltage up that high during cold temperatures as part of its normal operation. It might not be the best level to be at that level during the warm weather, but I doubt it'd be catastrophic to anything.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52218 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Charging system voltage
Higher charging output over months could potentially lead to shorter battery/alternator life? Maybe shorter bulb life, like others mentioned.

Some systems DO intentionally charge at 15.5V, depending on measured battery condition. GM RVC systems, for one.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Tyler.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52220 by al514
Replied by al514 on topic Charging system voltage
I'm honestly not sure if it hit higher voltages, it may have, it was the alternator causing it, not the ecm regulating problem. But it's reading strange data now and completely different codes after the alternator change. Bmw too, so finding service data is not the easiest.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds