Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

good crank, no start condition, no dtc

More
2 years 5 months ago #52117 by Kudu.123
Hi All, i have a merc W168 A190 with non start/splatter condition, first it logged dtc on throttle body and replacement of same resolved this error, and started couple of time perfect. it stalled and no start now evident in scoping cam, crank, ignition voltage feed and injector pulse no 1 cylinder, in cylinder compression test and fuel pressure all seems good. i do not have comparative waveform to verify. the spark plugs are wet with fuel seems no spark or at wrong time but should still then burn off?. looking at wave form the voltage to coil cyl no 1 fires with injection pulse at beginning of intake stroke and not as expected just before TDC? my question is should fuel injection and spark be at same time and not just before tdc? it seems to be out by 180degree but to perfect for chain to jump by this much. your advise is highly appreciated. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52119 by juergen.scholl
What makes you think the coil fires at the wrong time? How did you define TDC compression in your waveform¿?

Looking at your waveform I see one pulse of the green trace happen at the same with one pulse of the yellow/golden trace. I "suppose" green is igmition and yellow injection. Looking closer you will find that there are two pulses of the yellow trace for one of the green trace, in other words the yellow trace pulses each crankshaft revolution whereas the green pulse takes place only once every complete engine cycle/720 degrees.

If my assumption about green being ignition and yellow being injection happens to be true then this would reflect a pretty common pcm strategy where at start up the system does not operate in a sequential injection order until cylinders are identified. Depending on model it may even not feature sequential injection.

It may be beneficial if you did a relative compression test with an ignition sync signal on a second channel, on a much shorter time base, just to verify ignition timing to TDC compression.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52121 by Kudu.123
hi sir, sorry seems compression test did not load but i have now loaded again, the in cylinder compression test shows the green pulse being injector and yellow being cyl no 1 voltage being fired at intake opening event. injection understand but form my understanding ignition coil event to take place just before tdc? 

File Attachment:

File Name: incylcompt...4.psdata
File Size:1,769 KB

More
2 years 5 months ago #52125 by juergen.scholl
I can´t download your psd file.... 8-( Can you upload it somewhere else or just show a picture with an appropriate timebase? Otherwise it´s hard to get useful information from your data given.

If yellow shows the ignition then there seem to take place two ignition events during one complete engine cycle, the second one occuring in the area around 420 degrees?

The red trace is the trigger signal for the coil?

Please share the YMM information.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52128 by Kudu.123
many thanks for help s far, will it perhaps be better if i rescope with cam, crank, compression in cyl 1 and coil voltage cyl 1?
Attachments:

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52130 by juergen.scholl

many thanks for help s far, will it perhaps be better if i rescope with cam, crank, compression in cyl 1 and coil voltage cyl 1?
Yes, this would be really helpful.

If I click on the ps file it only opens as text document in another window. I can not dowload it.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52210 by Kudu.123
hi , sorry for delay but here are different scope with crank, cam, ignition no 1, and in cylinder pressure on cyl no 1,

while doing test a spark pugs are grounded fitted to coil pack and visual inspection appears they are very weak and sometimes not firing at a? same anomaly with olso and new coil pack unit.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Kudu.123.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52217 by juergen.scholl
Once again, I can not download your pico file, it onlyopens as text when I click on it. Please check this, though I don't think the problem is on my side, but who knows.....

More
2 years 5 months ago #52229 by Matt T
Juergen,

The psdata files are working for me with firefox and pico6. Maybe try opening the thread in a private window, or a different browser, so you're not logged in. That'll let you use right click.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
2 years 5 months ago #52230 by juergen.scholl
Matt,

Firefox allowed to download and it opened in Pico7, only. Tthank you.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52232 by juergen.scholl
Kud,

the ignition timing looks good to me. Being a waste spark system, as you mentioned coil pack, you´ll see one spark event within every crank revolution. The coil is fired approx. 5 degrees before TDC and the dwell time is almost 4 ms. Primary voltage stays over 10.5 V during cranking. All these values are within reasonable ranges.

How did you measure primary voltage on the control side of the coil? The self inducton spike only shows close to 20 volts and then it seems to be clipped off. What were your scope settings and probes/attenuator? Could you redo the primary voltage reading within a range that shows peak induction voltage, please? If you could add primary current that would allow even deeper insight...

You said you only saw what seems to be a weak spark....within the scope capture I can not dinguish one single spark event, the (low?) stored coil energy is just drained off to battery voltage level again, no back swing either.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52236 by Tyler
We're bouncing this waveform around in the Zoom meetup. :cheer: I see that you did a fuel pressure test, so I figure you would have noticed, but is it possible there's diesel in the tank? :huh: That may account for the lack of spark (washed plug), and still not starting.

Will diesel wash out piston rings the same way that gas will?

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds