Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Closed loop fault

More
2 years 5 months ago #52115 by ksat22
Closed loop fault was created by ksat22
Hi, guys. I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 litre which has a CL fault on bank 2 and a DTC for high voltage on the downstream O2 on that side. Short and long fuel trims on that bank look okay. 

I was unfamiliar on what a CL fault was so I looked it up and, according to the ONE article I was able to find on the subject, it apparently involves the PCM thinking there's a problem with the one of the upstream O2s. It went on to say that despite the hunch, the PCM still uses info on that sensor to adjust fuel trims and doesn't go into open loop or try to grab data from another banks' upstream.   

I guess my question here is, is the definition I found on the CL fault correct? Also, could the high voltage code I'm getting on the the rear O2 be related to that fault? I guess my thinking there is that, for whatever reason, the PCM thinks the info it's getting from the rear O2's is more reliable than what it's getting from the upstream one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52146 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic Closed loop fault
What is the actual number of the code please?

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52159 by ksat22
Replied by ksat22 on topic Closed loop fault
Just the 1.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52160 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic Closed loop fault
Yes, but what is that 1 codes number?????
It's not P0001 is it?

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52162 by ksat22
P0158, I believe. I'll recheck it in the am.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52171 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Closed loop fault
"I guess my question here is, is the definition I found on the CL fault correct?"

Long and short answer. Yes. As long as you understand that a DTC alone does not mean that sensor is bad or is the source of the problem.

"Also, could the high voltage code I'm getting on the the rear O2 be related to that fault?"
Yes.

"I guess my thinking there is that, for whatever reason, the PCM thinks the info it's getting from the rear O2's is more reliable than what it's getting from the upstream one."

No.

The strategy of the downstream 02 is to protect the catalytic converter not that it's more reliable than the upstream 02's. 02's can lie.

The P0158 is telling the PCM that the heater circuit on the down stream has a high voltage but it sees that the upstream is working. You reported the trims are good on bank 2.

I only addressed your questions not how to fix this. If someone else has a better answer or finds my reply in error, I hope you will post in.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 5 months ago #52173 by ksat22
Thank you for the replies thus far,,,,

"The P0158 is telling the PCM that the heater circuit on the down stream has a high voltage but it sees that the upstream is working. You reported the trims are good on bank 2."

I might be misunderstanding, but I thought P0158 was related to the sensor reading a rich condition in the exhaust stream, not anything heater element-related.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52192 by VegasJAK
We all know how Paul feels about flow charts...

What diagnostic tools do you have to work on this problem? You mentioned that the STFT and LTFT for bank two were Ok so I assume you have a scantool.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 5 months ago #52195 by ksat22
I have an entry level Autel, model AL519 . In addition to displaying PID values, it can also can graph them, though only individually. It also has Mode 6 ability, which has been helpful.

I have been looking to upgrade, though, and I've noticed FORScan seems to be pretty popular on this forum. I've a little unsure what dongle would be best to go with it in that regard, however.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52196 by VegasJAK
Can you get the freeze frame data from your Autel as to when the P0158 set?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52206 by ksat22
Fuel system 1 & 2 = CL
Load % = 58.8
ECT = 206 degree F
STFT1 = -0.8%
LTFT1 = 0
STFT2 = +0.8%
LTFT2 = 0
MAP = 8.6PSI
RPM = 1517
Speed Sensor = 31MPH
Spark Advance = 26.5 degree
IAT = 96 degree F
TP = 21.2%
Time Since Engine Start = 64 secs
Commanded Evap Purge = 32.9%
Fuel Level = 92.9%
Baro = 14.5PSI
Module Volts = 13.9
Absolute Load = 41.6
Commanded Equivalence Ratio = 0.999
Relative TPS = 6.7%
Ambient Air Temp = 69 degree F

More
2 years 5 months ago #52222 by VegasJAK
Before you do any visual and touch inspection of the S2 harness. Graph the B1S1, B2S1 and B2S2 sensors. Let's see their waveforms and voltages.

Do you have a volt meter?

Has the Jeep had any previous problems or repairs. How did the P0158 come about.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52227 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Closed loop fault
Forscan won't help you on this Jeep, unfortunately. :( I have an AL519 as well. It'll show us Global O2 voltage PIDs, but not the true sensor voltage readings. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram products use a 2.5V bias on their sensor ground circuits that cause the signal voltage to read 5V with the sensor electrically open (or with the sensor cold). But that may not be a huge handicap.

Because the freeze frame indicated the code set relatively quickly into an ignition cycle (64 seconds), I'm gonna guess that this isn't an intermittent problem. The flow chart Monde posted isn't terrible. :silly: Check that the sensor signal circuit isn't shorted to voltage, check that the return circuit isn't shorted to voltage, then short the signal and return together. If the signal now shows 2.3 - 2.7V (or 0V on your AL519), then the sensor has failed. :)

More
2 years 5 months ago #52238 by ksat22
I think I know the possible reason for the code P0158. Due to a 0430 code (below threshold bank 2) on the vehicle, the signal wire going to the harness side of B2S2 O2 was disconnected and replaced with a jumper wire bonded to the signal wire on B1S2. This was done in an attempt to fool the PCM into thinking bank 2 cat was still functioning when in actuality it wasn't. I can't wrap my head around the exact reason for the P0158 the code, but I imagine it could be from the combination of a slightly richer fuel trim on that side along with the info the PCM is getting on B2S1.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity about the closed loop fault, I thought I might swap upstreams to see if it jumps to the other side. If it doesn't, I guess it would at least verify the upstream on bank 2 wasn't the reason.

To answer your questions, yes, I have a volt meter, scannerjohn. It also has a min-max capture ability also, in case that might be useful. I can take some pics of those graphs my dinky meter gives me- if you still think that'll be useful- but they'll probably be pretty crude compared to what you're used to seeing.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52247 by VegasJAK
Guess that answers the question of whether the Jeep had prior problems and or repairs.

You'll have to restore the wiring integrity and replace that cat before you can rely on any readings.

Upstream and downstream O2's function differently and report different signals to the PCM. We can discuss that unless you already know. Also Chrysler uses bias voltages on signal and ground wires. Because of this, it's a must to use OEM 02 sensors. NTK. After market sensors such as Bosch don't work correctly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52248 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Closed loop fault

I think I know the possible reason for the code P0158. Due to a 0430 code (below threshold bank 2) on the vehicle, the signal wire going to the harness side of B2S2 O2 was disconnected and replaced with a jumper wire bonded to the signal wire on B1S2. This was done in an attempt to fool the PCM into thinking bank 2 cat was still functioning when in actuality it wasn't. I can't wrap my head around the exact reason for the P0158 the code, but I imagine it could be from the combination of a slightly richer fuel trim on that side along with the info the PCM is getting on B2S1.
This is much more likely to be your problem, IMO.

If you cut/disconnected the B2S2 signal wire and ran a jumper, then it's very likely that the jumper has an open or high resistance. That'd cause the B2S2 signal voltage to stay high at all times. Boom, P0158. ;)

I'd suggest putting the B2S2 wiring back to stock, clear your codes and see what comes back. If P0158 returns, you've still got problems. If P0430 returns, either find a different way to defeat the cat monitor, or live with it. Or, replace the cat.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Tyler.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52251 by VegasJAK
Must be an open otherwise 1/2 would code if high resistance or shorted to voltage. Yes, No?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52255 by ksat22
"Upstream and downstream O2's function differently and report different signals to the PCM. We can discuss that unless you already know. Also Chrysler uses bias voltages on signal and ground wires. Because of this, it's a must to use OEM 02 sensors. NTK. After market sensors such as Bosch don't work correctly"

Thanks in part to ScannerDanners vids, I have a decent idea on how the downstream waveforms differ from the upstreams, at least when the cat is working as it should. I'm aware of the need for OEMs on this rig and there are NTKs all around.

"If you cut/disconnected the B2S2 signal wire and ran a jumper, then it's very likely that the jumper has an open or high resistance. That'd cause the B2S2 signal voltage to stay high at all times. Boom, P0158"

Could I confirm this possibly by comparing both bank 1 & 2 rear O2 output voltages on my scanner or will the bias Chrysler uses not make that possible?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52311 by VegasJAK
Any progress?

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52317 by ksat22
Thanks for checking up 

Haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. Inspection is up the end of next month, so I gotta get it down to at least one incomplete by then otherwise I'll be pulling my hair out. . 

I'll let ya know how it goes. 
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by ksat22.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds