× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crank no start

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2021 21:00 #52106 by lance.bonds
Crank no start was created by lance.bonds
Hey I have an 05 Dodge Neon Sxt 2.0 that has no spark. I changed ignition coil, but didn’t fix the problem. I was a parts changer and that costs too much money. I’ve been watching your videos and have an idea on things, but I’m stuck. 
I have 4-5 volts on 2 outside wires going from computer to coil and 0v on middle wire with key on. Im not sure if you have to have someone cranking on it or not when checking voltage at coil. I know you do to check for a control pulse but cannot get a light to light up when cranking on control wires. My multimeter shows 5v at control wires on coil but 0v on middle wire. I think my middle wire is pwr, so that throws me off. Checked ASD relay and swapped with horn and still nothing. HELP PLEASE!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2021 21:24 - 18 Oct 2021 21:46 #52108 by lance.bonds
Replied by lance.bonds on topic Crank no start
I also have codes P0129 P0627 P0480, P0508, P0685, P0688, P0340, and P0108.
I recently unplugged the C2 module on my PCM, so I’m not sure if any of the above codes has anything to do with that I checked voltage at injectors and they are less than a volt. 
Checked engine module fuse inside car and have power on one side of fuse with key on but not the other but the fuse is not blown. Don’t have a diagram so I’m not sure what feeds these wires. I think one side is ignition switch but not sure about the side that isn’t working.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2021 21:46 by lance.bonds.

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2021 13:19 #52133 by lance.bonds
I’m sorry, I checked injector pulse for control with test light on batt.+ and light, lights up very faintly and does not pulse. So I do not have control and the light is very very dim. Not sure what that means. It’s looking like a PCM, but wanted to get your input on it, because it could be some wiring issues. Don’t want to throw parts at it.

More
19 Oct 2021 17:01 #52137 by Mitchroberson
Replied by Mitchroberson on topic Crank no start
I would see about getting a wireing diagram. Pay for the alldata or Mitchell DIY subscription for your care for a month. then start with the Engine Module Fuse and what feeds it. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: lance.bonds

• Tyler
  • You don't scare me, I fix CHRYSLERS
More
19 Oct 2021 20:55 #52149 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Crank no start
Missing power on the middle wire to the coil is definitely a problem. Or, at least part of it. The coil power feed (and the injectors, for that matter) DOES need to be checked while cranking.

If you are indeed missing power, then go to fuse #21 in the underhood fuse box and check it for power on both sides. If it doesn't have power on both sides, replace it. ;) If it does, remove the ASD relay and make sure at least two of the pins have power with the key on. Here's a diagram for reference:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lance.bonds

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2021 18:06 #52266 by lance.bonds
I pulled ASD relay and two pins have power with key off and on. Not sure that’s normal, but no voltage to coil or injectors.

• Chad
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
25 Oct 2021 19:25 - 25 Oct 2021 19:26 #52267 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Crank no start
Now, connect your test-light to battery (+). Check the highlighted circuit. With the test-light connected to BAT (+) the Highlighted circuit should light the test light, for just a moment, when the key is turned on. It should keep the test-light bright, as long as you are cranking.

File Attachment:

File Name: Neon2.0Engine.pdf
File Size:397 KB

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 19:26 by Chad.

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2021 11:31 #52280 by lance.bonds
Let me start over, I think I’m throwing everyone for a loop, even myself.
I’m getting 5v at wire 1 and 3 on ignition coil. Wire 2 is showing a ground but the wiring diagram I have, shows wire 2 to be the B(+) feed. I’m not getting a spark at ignition coil. I have rpms when trying to crank so crank sensor is probably good. I checked for control on ignition coil wire 3 and am not getting a flicker, but it’s 5v so the test light isn’t very bright. I checked all the fuses and they are all ok. I checked ASD relay and I am getting 12v to two sides with key off and with it on ,but I think that’s normal from your diagram. I checked that ASD relay circuit with it loaded and it is working right. I’m trying to cram a lot of info at once and trying to process it too. So my understanding is catching up. I checked for 5v reference at map sensor and it has 4v. I just checked it at map sensor.

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2021 11:42 #52281 by lance.bonds
I checked for spark at plugs and coil so to rule them out and changed the coil so it’s good. I recently changed a head gasket and it worked fine but oil was getting into the water, not the other way around, so I took it apart again to make sure everything was right. Had the head resurfaced and put it back together and it was right. Took it down the road about 10 miles and it got hot. So I took it back apart and put it back together and it became a crank no start. I checked the timing and it was spot on, but I’m not sure what else would cause it to not spark.

• lance.bonds
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2021 11:46 #52282 by lance.bonds
I’m not sure where to go from here. I wish I would’ve took this guy’s class, that’s what I should’ve done.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds