Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED 2009 Silverado 4.3L 5V reference issues

More
2 years 6 months ago #51926 by Nagy07
My Dad and I swapped a motor from a 2008 Silverado into a 2009 (4.3L V6)
Both motors ran before swap, one with a bad bearing (2009) and the other with a bad transmission (2008). The Bad transmission (2008) is now in the 2009 truck and were experiencing 5v system failure. I've watch the video posted where he trouble shoots this on a Cadillac and it helped up a lot, but what we're trying to come up with now is a diagram for the 5v electrical system, or a list of sensors on the 5v-1 system so we can trace whats going on.

Currently have DTC's
Current - P0641
Pending - B2AAA
Pending - P0107
Pending - P0452

Tested for 5v at ECM pin 13 (Grey) and there's 4.85v (5v-1)
Tested at pin 53 (Grey) and that had 4.95v (5v-2)
Tested at pin 54 (PU/WH) and that had 4.95v (5v-2)
Tested at Throttle body Grey pin had 4.95
Test at Map, a/c pressure and Fuel pressure sensor and there's less than 1v

We have slowly moved the harness around and watched a multimeter that was alligator clipped to pins and not seen any change in voltage.

During the engine swap, the engine wire harness was ziptied up to the firewall out of the way of the motor and transmission to avoid and crushing or tearing. I'm just wondering if this in turn created our problem. 
Truck runs and drives but with Engine Low Power message and does so poorly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago #51929 by Noah
P0641 sets for a problem with the 5v ref 1 circuit.
MAP sensor, FTP (fuel tank pressure), A/C pressure sensor, accelerator pedal position sensor 2, engine oil pressure sensor and camshaft position sensor according to what I'm seeing on All Data

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 6 months ago #51930 by Cheryl
Got to see if all those sensors are on the same5 volt reference. I don’t think you have a shorted sensor because you have the 5 volts at the computer. So trace the map sensor wire back and see if you find any corrosion

More
2 years 6 months ago #51941 by Nagy07
I appreciate this! Any way you can share the picture file displayed for reference while we're at the truck?

More
2 years 6 months ago #51953 by Tyler
Here you go:

If your voltage reading at the MAP and A/C pressure sensor was less than 1.00V but not 0V, then I'd suspect a resistive short to ground somewhere. While you're disconnecting the 5V Ref. 1 sensors one at a time, check their connectors for water or coolant an dry them out as needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 6 months ago #51996 by Nagy07
Solved the issue tonight, the pigtail from the oil sender was pinched between the block and the transmission. I appreciate all the responses and this diagram is what led to us finding the issue. Thanks a bunch! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds