Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

O2 sensor signal

More
2 years 7 months ago #51765 by evanv
O2 sensor signal was created by evanv
2004 Sierra 2500 6.0 bank 1 sensors
we have changed multiple sensors at position 1 but the signal oscillates wildly
bank 2 is normal but bank 1 sensor 1&2 are unusable signals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51766 by evanv
Replied by evanv on topic O2 sensor signal
2004 Sierra 2500 6.0 bank 1 sensorswe have changed multiple sensors at position 1 but the signal oscillates wildlybank 2 is normal but bank 1 sensor 1 oscilate 0 to .9 V with random frequency but generally 20 ms time 
I can’t attach my pictures 

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #51775 by evanv
P0300 came up tonight.but lets have some background
when I started this project, I was told the oxygen heater bank one sensor one was junk. I never drove the truck previously as it is new to me and it is a real handful of problems. In retrospect, the starter was bad and the flywheel worn so it appears that the underlying problem had to have been there before.
I did the heads timing chain cam as it needed it
We had PO300 p0171 p0174 and I thought we had it down to the fuel pump as it dropped pressure from 48psi to zero very fast. After changing the pump I had 58psi and no rapid bleed down, the lean codes left but the p0300 stayed and I realized the O2 bank 1 was erratic at closed loop after I discovered the graphing function of the bosch 1200 I just bought but It does not have advanced functions..
the first test i had performed was a compression test with all cylinders making 120 psi first crank and all 185 to 200 psi by the third crank (compression, spark, fuel was what I remembered)
We hooked it up to someones wounded hp tuner (it was dropped).
Over a period of an hour, the code P0300 code magically disappeared but we could not read the 02 sensor inputs at all but it may have been the fault of the hp tuner maladies (long unrelated story).
At least, we were able to toggle the injectors and two seemed suspect so I swapped all the injectors out of a motor that runs good.
One of the main symptoms is the long crank with no start about 70% of the time whether hot or cold. The motor I swapped the injectors over with, started excellent before and after the swap but this one has exactly the same symptoms.
I had looked for leaks but I do not have a smoker so tried flammable substances method which worked on SBC when I was young. I found no leaks.
I had installed new bosch sensor 1 on both sides. I have swapped the new bank 1 sensor with the good gm sensor and it made zero difference

We could not find which cylinders the misfires were being counted on with the wounded hp tuner. The bosch 1200 I have does not have the capability to isolate cylinder misfires that I know of.

Regardless, I was without codes for a while but you could see Bank 1 and 2 O2 levels were not related and this hasnt changed.
I know a little about process control and the signal on bank 1 is not a signal you can use for process control as soon as it goes from open loop to closed
I dont have advanced scanners but the purple and purple/white wires are the high signal and should have a constant 0.450 V but I am a bit scared to problem them without a graphing multimeter. I assume the tan and tan/white are read in PCM.
I wish I could upload my pictures as it is so obvious
I plugged my reader into a similar truck that does not run well and you could see the problem in that truck as well but not as pronounced
I hope i havent missed anything and thank you for engaging me as I am at my wits end
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by evanv. Reason: added o2 sensor infromation

More
2 years 7 months ago #51776 by evanv
I forgot
LTFT is less than 5% both banks, STFT similar so vacuum was an outside chance from what I have learned

More
2 years 7 months ago #51804 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic O2 sensor signal
Maybe try a crankshaft variation relearn?

More
2 years 7 months ago #51807 by evanv
thank you for the idea but from what I have learned, a camshaft position sensor will cause a long crank problem but never have I heard of crank timing for the symptoms.
I fail to see how a crank retime has anything to do with the O2 signals are radically different bank to bank and its not free to try. Its the same as throwing parts at it so I need to connect it in my mind somehow.
almost every video that was similar seemed to be a intake leak and flammable gas is only applied from the top not the valley.
I am wondering if you are correct that something is really wrong though as the O2 voltage is normal for the open loop section of the startup sequence but I cant get past the bank1 vs bank 2 signals but I am going to research the crank timing
sorry I cant post the pictures

More
2 years 7 months ago #51808 by Grouchyoldman
Replied by Grouchyoldman on topic O2 sensor signal
Can we approach this a different way? What code are you working with?

More
2 years 7 months ago #51809 by evanv
I accidently double posted it
p0300 is the one I got rid of and it came back
It has an intermittent long crank to start and idles rough
might be easier for the full explaination to look at the other thread
Its really driving me nuts

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #51817 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic O2 sensor signal
Why are we starting a new thread? This has been moved into the original post 

Don't be a parts changer!
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by ScannerDanner.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51818 by ScannerDanner

I accidently double posted it
p0300 is the one I got rid of and it came back
It has an intermittent long crank to start and idles rough
might be easier for the full explaination to look at the other thread
Its really driving me nuts
You have a misfire code and symptoms of a misfire. So you shouldn't be stressing about the hash you're seeing in your O2 sensor signal. A misfire will do that!! So what you are seeing is an effect, NOT the cause. Stop chasing that O2 hash. Now to read the rest of this thread to try to help more. Also please DO NOT create a new thread with the same problem on the forum. It only adds confusion to those trying to help. 

More
2 years 7 months ago #51819 by ScannerDanner
"One of the main symptoms is the long crank with no start about 70% of the time whether hot or cold. The motor I swapped the injectors over with, started excellent before and after the swap but this one has exactly the same symptoms."

So are we chasing a misfire or a long crank, no start? Or both!
When it doesn't start, (during the long crank/no start) what is your fuel pressure and are you losing injection pulse or spark?

More
2 years 7 months ago #51832 by Grouchyoldman
Replied by Grouchyoldman on topic O2 sensor signal
Lets start with the no/hard start. When it won't start, the security light is out? Yes? If you just held the key in the crank position for 3 seconds, will it start? What is your fuel press and fuel pump amperage? If it won't start, if you sprayed a flammable fluid such as brake clean will it start and run? Will it fire a ST125 spark tester? Have you run the fuel out of the tank since the first failure? 04 should be a non fuel return system. this doesn't have a press regulator in the rail does it?

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds