Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited 3.5L. 2 shops later still with issue

More
2 years 7 months ago #51689 by Mattbrice
My wife drives a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 3.5L we bought new.  It had a leaking water pump and so we took to a shop to have it repaired. Turns out it is a big job requiring a lot of disassembly of engine. While in there had shop replace chain, guides and tensioner.  After we got it back it immediately threw P0016 and P0019 codes. Took it back to shop and they ended up tearing into it again to fix crankshaft key they said was partly broken. After getting car back it now shudders side to side with varying degrees of intensity - but it does not happen all the time.  At times the whole car shakes like a tire is lose. Other times you can feel it every so slightly in steering wheel. It is most pronounced when accelerating from around 25 -> 40 mph and an incline.  Shop has driven and say they can’t reproduce.  2nd shop says same thing. But wife and I are not making it up.  It is there and at times very noticeable.  So looking for ideas on what may have happened. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51698 by Tyler
Are there any codes now? And not just in the PCM, I mean all modules.

Is the shuddering directly connected with the steering? Or does it also happen with the steering wheel centered? 

Aside from the part about the steering, it kinda sounds like you're describing a torque converter clutch shudder. :huh: It's pretty common for Explorers of this vintage, and the symptoms match (except for the steering).

More
2 years 6 months ago #51973 by Mattbrice
Sorry for long delay. The issue does not seem to be related to steering. It happens while steering wheel is straight as well as when turning. No codes at all. Seems way to coincidental that this happened after shop had it apart 2x.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51975 by Tyler
I agree that it's likely coincidental.

Since the steering is not related, I'd go for a couple transmission drain and fills. I also like ShudderFixx additive for TCC issues, but that's up to you. Recheck for the shudder and see if it's improved. If not, you're only out some fluid and a couple hours of time.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #51998 by Hardtopdr2
On thing to check is the power steering pressure switch. As well as when your running the car was the air-conditioning on at the same time when it was shuttering? Try turning off all loads.
edit :
Disregard these symptoms don't match what I typed.

It does sound like it's misfiring if vehicle is shaking. I would check plug wires or the coils to see if there fully seated.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds