× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 ram 1500 eco diesel

• Ben
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Sep 2021 17:37 #51423 by Ben
2014 ram 1500 eco diesel was created by Ben
Hey guys anyone got experience with these eco diesels I've got 1 from a local car lot that's been around the block... it's a crank no start there mechanic put lift pump in then it went to the dealer for the failed crank sensor programming recall the dealer told them its either the crank sensor or the reluctor ring and the transmission would need pulled to check it... apparently they've never used an oscilloscope to check a crank sensor and reluctor wheel? From there it went to the local diesel shop that said they could change the crank sensor without pulling the transmission where it sat for a few month untouched , which brings us to now it showed up at my shop I started with a scan which had several comm codes with Def related sensors and module (I didn't look to see if they were removed or not ) I figure thats not causing a no start so I jumped to live data to see if I had any rpm in my rpm pid and it does, so I head to rail pressure sensor to find 0 jump to component controls activate lift pump and nothing.... head to fuse box to check fuse and relay and the fuse is blown, replaced the fuse activate lift pump and purge the air from the lines and high pressure pump crank it and still 0 pressure at rail... at this point i suspect the high pressure pump was cranked dry for so long without a working lift pump that it is full of air and the rail has air so I cracked a line at the injector to see if we had fuel up there and got a little out during cranking tightened it back up and my rail pressure makes it to approx 6k psi but still a no start the desired is roughly 7500 when desired jumps to 9k (as it still hasn't started) the actual pressure makes it to roughly 7500 (I believe 5k is enough to run on) that's as far as I've got at the moment, I'm looking at it in the parkinglot and haven't drug the scope out to check injection pulse or crank sensor yet just curious if anyone has any experience on these eco diesels and what it takes for them to run? Just incase anyone isn't familiar with the crank sensor recall it's a software patch to make it run off of just the cam sensor in limp mode so even if the crank sensor reluctor wheel fell apart it should still run

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2021 18:40 #51426 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic 2014 ram 1500 eco diesel
What specific DEF codes did you have? I have more experience with 2500 trucks, but I know some codes on the 6.7 will keep it from starting. Is there a data PID for HP fuel pump regulator position? It is usually a percentage that will vary based on the desired fuel pressure, watch that and see how high it gets. If the connector for the regulator is in an easy spot to get to you can unplug it. It will throw a code, but doing this will cause it to default to maximum pressure. Sidenote: my understanding/experience is that on common rail Diesel engines, you do not need to/ should not crack the High pressure lines. There is enough pressure to be dangerous, and in some cases, like the ford 6.7 the lines are one time use so technically if the seal between the line and the injector is broken, you should replace it. And sometimes yes, it takes a LOT of cranking to get all the air out. 

• Ben
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Sep 2021 19:20 #51427 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:2014 ram 1500 eco diesel
I don't remember what ipr was exactly I think it was in the 20s when commanded was 7500 psi and 30s when it commanded 9500 I am aware of the pressure that can be in the lines on crd engines it was at zero psi when cracked the line and it cant build pressure with line open (very little bubbles of fuel came out during cranking) no spraying at all I am aware of hp lines typically needing replaced when they are disconnected I picked 1 that would be getting replaced if/when the hp pump gets replaced

More
14 Sep 2021 19:25 #51428 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Re:2014 ram 1500 eco diesel
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I did not mean to insult your intelligence. Not everyone is as familiar with Diesel engines. 

• Ben
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Sep 2021 19:32 #51429 by Ben
No problem I didn't mean to come across as insulted I am familiar with Duramax Powerstrokes Cummins and a few of vw tdi engines and the basics apply to all CRD engines just curious if anyone has already been here and done this on 1 of these 3.0 ecos while I wait for more time to get my laptop and scope out there to check cam crank and injection pulse to see what we're missing , it very well could be 2 separate no start issues since other techs have had there hands in it maybe there wasnt a fuel problem till the last guy touched it lol

• Ben
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Sep 2021 09:07 #51434 by Ben
Well I drug scope out last night and confirmed cam crank relationship and good signals for each (would have been a waste of time for the dealer to pull transmission to check them) I checked injection pulse it stays there steady I was surprised to see it fires like ford's triple strike ignition I'm not sure if that's normal or not but I'm headed deeper in the high pressure side . On a side note I've considered starting it on propane to see if the higher rpms would purge air from hp pump (if it is just air locked) I know there's no lubrication to cylinders on propane and I couldn't run it long that way, anyone have any other thoughts or concerns on doing that ? If pump is trashed it could push metal to rails but I think if pump is trashed I'm going to be pulling and cleaning them anyways

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds