Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Chevy 350 intake vacuum waveform

More
2 years 8 months ago #50997 by guafa
Hello guys,

Blue trace is primary ignition coil in a distributor type and red trace is intake vacuum.

This engine has modified camshatf (a little overlaping according to customer)

Vacuum idle (cold) is about 6.5 in/Hg and (warm) about 9.5 in/Hg.

My question is how modified camshaft could affect vacuum waveform, since I am watching just one valley every two ignition pulses instead of two valleys (all cylinders sucking separatedly).

Any comment would be apreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #51010 by Hardtopdr2
with a normal aka stock camshaft the lobe separation angle is a bit more separated so the exhaust valve closes before intake valve opens. Now on a modified camshaft aka high performance drag strip cam that separation angle is moved as power is the primary desire (not engine vacuum or idle quality) which is why the drag cars and high compression engines have the lope to it when its started. with this move of the separation angle your power band with the camshaft is moved to the upper rpm ranges or vise versa depending on which way you go.

as for the waveform did you take it with the engine running or just cranking?

More
2 years 8 months ago #51018 by guafa
Thanks hardtopdr2 for your prompt response.

Capture was taken at idle.

Another picture a took before, was secondary ignition on cylinder #1 (blue) and vacuum (red) at idle (see attached file). I could notice cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 are the ones which generate that valleys. On the other hand 8, 3, 5 and 2 match the peaks (which are the ones i would expect to generate another valleys)

Due to not all the valleys or peaks are being generated on the same bank, and also the fact that every peak is followed by a valley (so symetrical waveform)  i would discard a mechanical issue)

I am definitely not familiarized with modified camshaft, but my common sense doesn't explain why i am not seeing the intake job (valleys) for every cylinder (since camshaf overlaping is aplying to all cylinders and intake stroke is 90 degress separated one from another)
Attachments:

More
2 years 8 months ago #51019 by juergen.scholl
Do you have an intake vacuum waveform while cranking?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 8 months ago #51020 by guafa
juergen.scholl.

Just give me a couple of hours and i'll post it.

Thanks in advance.

More
2 years 8 months ago #51023 by Matt T

Another picture a took before, was secondary ignition on cylinder #1 (blue) and vacuum (red) at idle (see attached file). I could notice cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 are the ones which generate that valleys. On the other hand 8, 3, 5 and 2 match the peaks (which are the ones i would expect to generate another valleys)

Due to not all the valleys or peaks are being generated on the same bank, and also the fact that every peak is followed by a valley (so symetrical waveform)  i would discard a mechanical issue)

There's a good chance 1, 4, 6 & 7 are tied together as one half of a dual plane intake. You might have your transducer hooked to a port that only sees one of the intake planes. Or there could be a restriction in one of the planes.

More
2 years 8 months ago #51024 by guafa
Ok guys.

Here is a picture of vacuum while cranking.

Map voltage (red trace) is 3.9v (which is barometric pressure here (82 kpa)). As you can see there is no vacuum pressure.

Matt T. All readings were taken at throttle body ( 400 hp 4 barrel fi tech) system.

Intake manifold is eldelbrock 2101 (i know nothing about this intake manifold but i'm afraid it doesn't have any test port)
Attachments:

More
2 years 8 months ago #51028 by Matt T

Matt T. All readings were taken at throttle body ( 400 hp 4 barrel fi tech) system.

Intake manifold is eldelbrock 2101 (i know nothing about this intake manifold but i'm afraid it doesn't have any test port)

It is a dual plane intake. And it sure looks like the vacuum ports on that throttle body could isolated from one plane somewhat. One thing you could try is moving the transducer to another port to see if that shows the other four intake pulls.

The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, Chad

More
2 years 8 months ago #51064 by guafa
Matt T mate you are genious!!!

I confirm by watching through throttle body blades that intake has two separated paths. One for cylinders 1,4,6,7 and the other for 8,3,5,2

You saved me lots of hours. That must be the reason for that waveform.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds