Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

System too rich bank 1

More
2 years 9 months ago #50622 by Devin0789
Hello all, new member and first time posting. I’m working on a 2011 Audi s4 3.0 supercharged. Getting a fault for system too rich bank1. I’d really like to test injectors on bank 1 and also verify the bank1 02 sensor is reading correctly. Is there a way to make the sensor go lean to make sure it’s fluctuating correctly? I do not own a scope at this time unfortunately. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50623 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic System too rich bank 1
Decel fuel cut off? Flutter the gas pedal, watch the rear o2 - if they go lean and the upstream stays rich, it's lying.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50860 by Devin0789
Replied by Devin0789 on topic System too rich bank 1
Car has been fixed!!! Long story short, high pressure fuel pump was leaking fuel into oil. Scanner danner book would call it “fuel contaminated oil”.
What an incredible find!

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50880 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic System too rich bank 1
This is what drive diagnostician crazy. A bank specific code which turns out to be a global variable. A malfunctioning fuel pump dumping fuel into the crankcase would produce a rich condition for both banks on a V engine. Could be in this case bank 1 set the code first. Bank 2 was probably close to setting a code as well?
A single cylinder with a leaking injector would set a bank specific code but the fuel from it washing into the crankcase would set a global code. Again, bank 1 set the code first.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by VegasJAK.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50893 by ScannerDanner
Just a quick thought. It may have been rich on both banks and only coded for one bank. This is a lesson on why we can't just look at the code we must verify the fuel trim numbers ourselves.
For example, I've seen many vacuum leaks flag only one bank while both had very positive numbers

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds