Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 Equinox V6 O2 Sensor High Voltage

More
2 years 8 months ago #50585 by Constable1
I was doing some testing on a 2011 Equinox following procedures in the book. Car runs fine and scan data looks good, but the bias voltage on all O2 sensors when cold or disconnected is 1.9 volts. When running the scanner is showing going up and down between .04 and .09. When I connect to my scope the reading goes between 1.04 and .9. Something I’m doing wrong?

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50588 by juergen.scholl
Are you dealing with a standard zirconium O2 sensor or with a wideband air/fuel ratio sensor?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50592 by Constable1
Replied by Constable1 on topic O2 Sensor High Voltage
Zirconia Oxygen Sensors I believe.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50593 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic O2 Sensor High Voltage

When running the scanner is showing going up and down between .04 and .09. When I connect to my scope the reading goes between 1.04 and .9. 
Where is the scope leads hooked up to? Also did you mean to write .04 and .9 volts?The computer is sending out 2.9 volts on the signal wire and 1 volt on the ground wire. If you put your scope to battery negative and take direct readings at the sensor I believe this is what you'll find. The voltmeter inside the computer is reporting the difference in potential between the signal and ground, 2.9 volts minus 1 volt so this is where 1.9 volts comes from.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 8 months ago #50594 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic O2 Sensor High Voltage
Working with the idea that nothing is wrong with this engine, the data suggests to me that you're looking at a/f sensors. A/F sensors don't work the same as standard 02's rather the change from lean to rich is measured in small current amounts as you show. Ref voltage values are different for each manufacturer. I believe GM is 2.6v. The current value change of .04 to .09 would be consistent with normal switching. What's got me is the 1.9v reference voltage. Maybe the Equinox has 1.9v ref instead of 2.6v.
1.04 would be lean and .9 rich as 1 is stoich.
But the other thing is the downstream 02's. I haven't read anything suggesting that A/F's are being used there. Standard 02's are the norm. But?
If I missed your point, let me know.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 8 months ago #50599 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic O2 Sensor High Voltage

the data suggests to me that you're looking at a/f sensors.

According to Service Information, they are not a/f sensor. They are regular standard zirconium O2 sensors.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
2 years 8 months ago #50603 by VegasJAK
Have to ask, is your scanner showing an equivalency ratio PID on global?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 8 months ago #50615 by Constable1
To start with I do not believe they are A/F sensors. Throughout the service manual (Mitchell) it only references HO2S Oxygen Sensors, no mention of A/F sensors.

I am going to start the testing with a cold engine.

With key on and engine off, this is a screenshot of my Autel MS906TS scanner. I cutoff the Unit column, but that is V for volts.

I also attached an excerpt from the Mitchell Manual.

I will next measure the voltages directly at the sensor B2 S1.

Ken

More
2 years 8 months ago #50618 by Constable1
Ok, things are starting to come together and make a little more sense. 

I got a little confused with the connections between the sensor's floating ground controlled by the ECM and the chassis ground.

With engine cold, key on, engine off I took readings at the sensor with DVOM.

PPL\WHT High Reference to chassis ground = 2.78 volts
Tan\WHT Low Reference to chassis ground  = 1.04 volts
PPL\WHT High Reference to Tan\WHT Low Reference = 1.80 volts.

These readings appear to be inline with the specs in the manual. Of course the scanner is still showing 1.9 volts. Since I am taking the readings directly at the sensor, I am thinking that this may be a slight voltage drop in the harness between the ECM and the sensor.  Thoughts?

I am now going to take the readings with the scope with the engine running and compare to the live data on the scanner. I'm thinking that everything will fall into place when I have the probes on the sensors floating ground instead of chassis ground. I'll do it both ways.

Thanks for the replies, it always help to sound thing out.

Ken

More
2 years 8 months ago #50619 by VegasJAK
Ken. You have peaked my courosity on this. GM has always had a 450mv bias voltage for 02's on its signal wire. Wiring integrity test has been to unplug the sensor. If the scan data remains at 450mv, wiring is good.
This is a 2011 Chevy Equinox with a 3.0l V6 engine?
Please let us know which O2 wire you're hooked up to and post those readings.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50646 by Constable1
Ok, this might go off topic a bit, but I am actually learning a lot from this one test. Which is why I think testing is very important to do on know good vehicles.

I have found that if you connect your scope/DVOM to certain connections, such as the O2 Sensor's high reference and the probe's ground lead to ground, it changes the voltage readings shown on the scanner. In my case it dropped from 1.9 volts on the sensor to .75 volts when connected the DVOM.

I also observed that the voltage reading from the scope is different than the voltage reading from the DVOM, must have something to do with the resistance in the probes.

Bottom line is you need to know how different connections and floating grounds can affect the readings.

ScannerJohn, now that I know some of the problems I was having with connections and probes, I will rerun the tests and post the results here along with what probe is connected to what wire.

Thanks,

Ken 
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Constable1. Reason: Adding vehicle info

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds