Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Melted clogged cat

More
2 years 9 months ago #50366 by autojoe
Melted clogged cat was created by autojoe
Brother has a hundai hope spelled it right. No misfire or mil. Cat heated up melted rear bumper cover ect. Dealer told him had to wait because back order for cat. Waited about a month. Gave loaner vehicle. Here's the kicker.... Told him that the cat went bad due to oil contamination because the cat caused strain on the engine causing the oil consumption issue which in turn caused the contamination of the cat. Does this make sense? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50368 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Melted clogged cat
Im having a hard time to follow this argument, logically. In the first place, what exactly does it mean the cat put strain on the engine and where did the oil contamination originate from? Then, as a result this condition turned into it's own cause and finally led to the destruction of the converter, huh? Chances are I didn't understand.

Primary converters usually are installed close to the exhaust manifold, I wouldn't expect them to cause most heat damage at rear end.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50387 by autojoe
Replied by autojoe on topic Melted clogged cat
I don't expect you to understand. I didn't understand. The cat was oil contaminated. The heat melted or damaged plastic underneath rear of vehicle. No mil on. Dealer ordered new cat took one month back order. Said the cat caused oil consumption by putting a strain on the engine. That's what they said. 

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds