Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Cam fasers

More
2 years 9 months ago #50363 by Fredsn
Cam fasers was created by Fredsn
My Niece tried to save money on an oil change and used conventional oil instead of dexos. As a result her cam phasers  are not working correctly. She lives out of state. I am going that way next month or so and I wanted to know if anyone knows of a easy way I could clean the oil ports. The car will not go over 50 mph now. It was suppose to take dexos 1 5w30. I wonder if dexos 1 ow20 could help? with new cam phasers 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50369 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Cam fasers
Well if it wanted Dexos, we can assume it's a GM product at least.
Year, make model and engine would be helpful along with trouble codes if you want any vehicle specific advice...
generally the screen on the oil control valve(s) get gummed up with debris. Usually one 10mm bolt holds them in, a little brake clean and all's well.
In any case, as long as the correct viscosity was used, I don't think going from synthetic oil to conventional in one oil change would have such an effect. There are many cars I take care of that recommend Dexos and get conventional oil changes with no performance issues.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Noah.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50374 by Fredsn
Replied by Fredsn on topic Cam fasers
It is a 2018 spark and the code was cam crank something. Now that you mention it I wonder if that is the first time?

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds