Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

What are the correct fuel system specs?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50332 by stylingpat
Heya guys, what are the correct fuel system specs for a 96 chevy 4.3L vortec c1500?

What's the prime fuel pressure, Idle Fuel Pressure and correct voltage?

I'm reading 60 psi prime, then 55 psi idle and drive and getting 13.3v at the pump power wire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50334 by Chad
1. Ignition "OFF" for 10 Seconds.
 2. With ignition "ON," engine "OFF" and fuel pump running, pressure should be 415-455 kPa (60-66 psi).

Power voltage should be system voltage. 13.3v is good.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
2 years 9 months ago #50371 by stylingpat
Ok so my fuel pump is not performing under specs then. I just got this truck back from the dealership, its running great, but I wanted to double check the specs since its under warranty.

They told me it was performing perfectly when they gave me the keys :)

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50372 by stylingpat
What should I test and check to find out why the pump is running low PSI, (a brand new pump/motor)

Its got a new fuel filter (PSI was exactly the same with old filter)

Voltage to the pump is good, we know that. So its not being starved for power

Something is burning out all my fuel pumps. They all last about 6 months. This is fuel pump #4, and this time I had the dealership figure it out. They repaired my fuse box and said the contacts were melted and too lose with the relay causing the pumps to burn out.

Now I got a warranty on my pump motor.

All the grounds are clean, I checked them all on fuel pump #3
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by stylingpat.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50373 by stylingpat
And here is a look at ol betsy, 380k miles still sounds like a sewing machine

How does she look?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50375 by Chad

What should I test and check to find out why the pump is running low PSI, (a brand new pump/motor)

Voltage to the pump is good, we know that. So its not being starved for power

Something is burning out all my fuel pumps. They all last about 6 months. This is fuel pump #4,

All the grounds are clean,

You have verified a good POWER feed at the pump (pump running) Now, back-probe the GROUND wire at the Fuel Pump (pump running) and check for voltage. If you have a bad ground, you will read a voltage higher than "near zero", on the GROUND wire.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50400 by stylingpat

You have verified a good POWER feed at the pump (pump running) Now, back-probe the GROUND wire at the Fuel Pump (pump running) and check for voltage. If you have a bad ground, you will read a voltage higher than "near zero", on the GROUND wire.

Is there a difference between checking the ground wire and checking the ground bolt? 

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50414 by stylingpat
Ok, so here is my fuel pump electrical system data capture!

Also before you read through the data, understand I am using a Power Probe 4, so hence my inclusion of the (+) and (-) lights. 

More
2 years 9 months ago #50415 by Chad

Is there a difference between checking the ground wire and checking the ground bolt? 

Yes. If the ground WIRE is bad, you will see a good ground at the bolt, but elevated voltage, on the ground wire, at the pump. Suppose there is corrosion in the wire, half way between the bolt and the pump. On the bolt side of the corrosion, the ground is still good. But, on the pump side of the corrosion, you may read elevated voltage. The more corrosion/resistance you have, the higher the voltage will be, on the pump side.

Check the ground as close to the pump as you can.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50417 by stylingpat
Yep, that's as close as I could get on the ground wire.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50418 by stylingpat
What would happen over time at the two images I shown with all my data, if the connection at pin 86 was "loose"? How would that effect the system over time and change the data above, eventually killing the pump motor in 6 months?

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50419 by jreardon
86 is on the control side so if only pin 86 was loose, then there's not enough magnetic field strength to close the load side contacts and there would simply be no power to the pump until maybe the oil pressure switch kicks in.

6 minutes, 20 seconds: low voltage requires more amperage to get the same work done

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by jreardon.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50425 by stylingpat
So I guess the only thing left is to do an amperage test on the fuel pump to see where its at.

ScannerDanner just said these fuel systems are 55-65 psi. So maybe my electrical gremlin is gone! This will be the first fuel pump motor to last over 6 months!

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds