Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:Re:1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 Front Brakes

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50280 by popoften
Hi guys, 

I am trying to replace the rotors and pads on my 4WD suburban. The four bolts that hold the hub bearing assembly  to the spindle are in super, super tight. I have applied PB blaster, tried getting them to move with a 24” breaker bar plus pipe for additional leverage, hit it with my 1/2 20v dewalt cordless impact (supposedly 400 ft lbs) and the things will not budge. I have used 1/2” drive Impact sockets with all tools. Nothing doing. I have also applied heat to metal surrounding bolt head, but all I have is a propane torch. Any ideas on how I can break these things loose? Thanks, Pop
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by popoften.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50281 by Ben
Well I must ask why are you removing them to replace rotors and brake pads?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

More
2 years 9 months ago #50284 by popoften
The rotors and hub bearing are held together by the lug studs and both are bolted to the spindle on the 4WD Chevy trucks of this era. Of course you can remove the pads by simply removing the caliper but I am doing rotors also.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50287 by Ben
Really from behind the hub? I had a 99 suburban year ago and it had slip on rotors! I hated all those behind the hub rotor vehicle... at any bigger tools or more heat but if the bolts are any indicator the bearing will likely be froze in as well....

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

More
2 years 9 months ago #50291 by popoften
Yes, the bolts are behind the hub, there are four of them. The 1500 Suburbans were not this way but the 2500 and 3500 were. Thanks.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 9 months ago #50330 by Noah
Hey pop!
Sounds like a real nightmare.
Naturally, you can't heat the threaded part of the hub bearing because the rotor is in the way?
Heat, heat and more heat is the best advice I can give. Or snap them all and change the hubs & bolts while you're in there.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 9 months ago #50355 by Tyler
Maybe see if anyone you know can lend you a meaner cordless impact?

I actually really like Noah's idea. :lol: The bolts are pretty commonly available. I hate to give Dorman business, but it's probably your best bet:

www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-508-Bearing-Mo...Bolts/dp/B01ID3U2W6/

More
2 years 9 months ago #50386 by Hardtopdr2
Yep they can't be tight if there a liquid just make sure to remove that CV axle.

More
2 years 8 months ago #51104 by popoften
Thank you all for your insights. I will remember your wisdom for another day. I have spent all the time I can in this job, and more, so I am going to pay my buddy, a pro tech, do it in his shop. Win some, lose some!

Thanks again for your input, guys. You are why this is the best automotive forum on the web, and I say that in all earnestness.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds