Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

I made a very big mistake..

More
2 years 9 months ago #50491 by 2siamese
I was using the DC 20 setting to perform all tests prior to this message, I recently used both the 2000m and the 200m settings on the DC side, and still I was not getting any reading whatsoever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50492 by 2siamese
Thank you for the response. I recently acquired a T pin from the sewing shop, I'm not going to lose it. It's an inch and a half in length, but it's more than good enough for me. I'm also using a chromebook and a digital camera to take photos with (I know, I'm old school)

I can get a $16 dollar test light from my local parts store, it's an Innova, but I'm running really low on cash right now. If I can avoid purchasing it for now, I'd prefer to. Unless it's going to help dramatically speed up the process to locate this fault, wherever it is, I'd prefer to use my multimeter.

What causing me a lot of anxiety is the condition of my engine bay. I bought this car off of someone last year and they did not do regular maintenance on this vehicle. I don't think the engine bay was ever cleaned and when I try to move wires around, they are extremely stiff, brittle, and caked in mud and dirt. I'm scared wires are going to snap or something, because when I move wires to try and locate something the plastic tubing encasing the wires literally crumbles away in pieces.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50504 by VegasJAK
Your MAF sensor has its own independent ground. It's located on the front left side of the transmission housing. Find the ground point and make sure it's securely and cleanly attached. You can check the ground wire integrity from that point back to the MAF connector. The wire should be the same color, black with white stripe.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50517 by 2siamese
Hi, so I was doing some more digging and I came across this wire, that wasn't attached to anything. It runs, or at least looks like it runs next to a yellow wire, the thing is, it's not located on the side of the transmission housing, it's located on the right side of the engine, just below the top of the block (if I'm standing in front of the car with the hood popped, my right)and it kind of looks like a white wire with a black stripe as opposed to a black wire with a white stripe. Do you think it's what's giving me the code?

Edit: sorry, it is NOT allowing me to upload photos from an SD card, it's saying 'image mime type %S not allowed' I'll have to figure out how to post photos before I can go any further, sorry
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by 2siamese. Reason: not allowing me to post photos

More
2 years 9 months ago #50522 by juergen.scholl

sorry, it is NOT allowing me to upload photos from an SD card, it's saying 'image mime type %S not allowed' I'll have to figure out how to post photos before I can go any further, sorry
Probably you picture size is too BIG, resize them and they should upload. To get you out of a pinch get a 5 watt light bulb and a corresponding socket, put 2 wires to it and you got a cheap and functional test light, made by yourself.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50523 by 2siamese
Will you guys click on imgur links? I uploaded the photo to that site, of the wire that is not attached to anything, if you can go take a look imgur.com/a/5ArsNXb

More
2 years 9 months ago #50524 by VegasJAK
It would be a good idea to invest in a shop manual with wiring diagrams at this point.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

More
2 years 9 months ago #50658 by 2siamese
Hey so just an update, I got a LED test light (Innova 3410) and managed to track down a wiring diagram. It's still a bit difficult to understand, but I did try and follow the wires and that wire not connected to anything does not have anything to do with the MAF sensor or any of its components, I think it might be to my floodlights (which do not work currently)

I also found the ground point (G105) and I believe it's attached, although I need to jack the vehicle up to get a better look at it. When I'm using the test light, to check for voltage and ground, is there a rule I have to follow? I can connect the alligator clip to positive or negative points in the engine bay, so if I'm looking for ground, I connect it to the positive terminal..? and vice versa, if I'm checking for voltage, I connect the alligator clip to the negative terminal? Sorry if this is straightforward, I'm still a novice.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds