Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

12v + at chassi

More
2 years 9 months ago #50227 by evo wheeler
12v + at chassi was created by evo wheeler
1999 jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0 4x4 .This all started after new engine install .  went for test drive ran fine bust would not restart  Noticed I had left off fire wall to engine ground strap off I reconnected it With a big arking and sparking  light show . Jeep then would restart but cranked slow 3+ volt drop when cranking(problem)  and smoked/burned the ground strap from fire wall to engine .Mind you I have a 2ga cable from my battery to engine block and a short 6ga cable from that block point back to the body made a new fire wall to engine ground 6ga don't think grounding is an issue? .Other things NO blown fuses. remove batt ground and meter shows about 3volts + on chassis  (meter on batt neg then to body ). Narrowed the voltage down to the IDO circuit fuse 16 in the PDC . I have separated every connector Isolating down to a section of harness that still has has about 30 ohms to ground How is a mystery .I am not convinced this is the issue yet I am convinced  I will replace this harness and fix nothing . also noticed I have lost revers lights ,overdrive and a transmission range sensor code .The problem is laughing in my face I am not smart enough to see it. Dear lord straighten out my head please or any one with some wisdom caus I am out 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50229 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 12v + at chassi
Run a ground from the engine block to the frame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon

More
2 years 9 months ago #50269 by evo wheeler
Replied by evo wheeler on topic 12v + at chassi
I have a 2ga cable from my battery to engine block and a short 6ga cable from that block point back to the body made a new fire wall to engine ground 6ga don't think grounding is an issue . 2 6ga wires to frame @ different points 

More
2 years 9 months ago #50296 by Cheryl
Take test light connected to battery negative and probe engine block while cranking. Does it light?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50298 by evo wheeler
nope

More
2 years 9 months ago #50299 by Cheryl
Okay good. Now go from battery negative to the body of the keep. Should not light while cranking. The previous test means your block is grounded

More
2 years 9 months ago #50300 by Cheryl
Jeep

More
2 years 9 months ago #50308 by evo wheeler
yep I have been their I am starting to under stand the definition of insanity .This jeep does run and start . I remove the batt ground cable out my test light or logic probe between batt - and block or baby I get 12v+ . all fuses are removed in the whole thing only #16 the IDO fuse is where i see the voltage go away. thank you for the input this fare I am trying to keep to the kiss method. Positive voltage at body Bad . Am I wrong? not trying to be a wises ass just going a little crazy again thanks for the input.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50311 by Cheryl
So what is it doing? You said it runs and drives. What are you trying to fix?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50315 by ontheriver
Replied by ontheriver on topic 12v + at chassi
Quick search and cherokeeforum, Blowing iod fuse-dead short, came up with many possibilities, unfortunately

More
2 years 9 months ago #50316 by Cheryl
So the iOd fuse is blowing?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50318 by ontheriver
Replied by ontheriver on topic 12v + at chassi
He didn't say it was blowing, but that thread I mentioned, had 5 problematic areas for wiring issues with that fuse

More
2 years 9 months ago #50319 by Cheryl
So is your fuse blowing?? What’s the issue. You said your jeep runs and drives.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50354 by evo wheeler
no blown fuses . This started with a hot no restart . Noticed I had neglected to connect the fire wall to engine ground strap during the reattachment it let lose sparks big like holy crap what is wrong sparks . Attached it any way . cranked it and saw it burn in halve. .Mind you at this point their is already  2ga cable from Batt ground to engine block . made them for the new engine wanted overkill on the grounding .This is voltage getting to chassis after the consumer . thank to all for the input even the 1/2 read it people been ohming out the harness  Isolated  continuity to ground in part of the harness under the steering wheel . diagram shows only a few things on it I have disconnected all of them I am just not convened this is the problem . I am failing the KISS method

More
2 years 9 months ago #50382 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic 12v + at chassi

I have lost revers lights ,overdrive and a transmission range sensor code

When you're faced with multiple issues, just pick an easy circuit and follow the trail. It's probably related to the rest of the stuff that's not working, or it may not. I would start off with your loss of reverse lights since I'd imagine that's pretty easy to get to. Are you missing power or a ground there?

docdro.id/Wmv5nLQ

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds