Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

02 ranger no start,no comm

More
2 years 8 months ago #50175 by Smwscanner
Hi I have an 02 ranger 4x4 4.0l 69k miles. Died while driving no warning no noise or anything. What I can tell you about the history of the truck is my dad bought it new and didn’t drive it much. No issues at all I purchased the truck in 2019 37k miles the truck has never jumped or been jumpstarted. About 1500 miles ago the lights dimmed and I noticed the volt meter was way down I had 3-5 miles till home so I turned off a/c and went straight home charged battery and put on a new(reman) alternator. No issues. The only other thing that I can think of and in the back of my mind the cause shortly after I got the truck ( many miles ago) I bought a used tuner I’m pretty sure it was a super chips brand if important I’ll look for sure. Just to get around the 88 mph speed limiter. I I believe I chose the economy mode or whatever was the lowest one in the menu. Now as far as diag. There is no communication with engine or transmission but everything else is online. I’ve checked powers and grounds at pcm and 100 and 104 I think it is just in front of the battery that come loose I’ve read, and all are good. For some reason this pcm is 370.00 where I’m at and needs programming (I can do the keys now) and I hate to make a misdiagnosis because I’m to attached to the truck and not thinking like a tech. I appreciate any advice and I am very happy you would even offer your assistance to me or anyone online. That shows me what kind of person you are. Thank you very much. Steve Willis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50177 by juergen.scholl
Steve,

did you also verify the integrity of the communication lines?

Do you have 5 volts reference/feed at the sensors? If not, disconnect one by one while watching the reference voltage to make sure you don't have a shorted sensor.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 6 months ago #50990 by Smwscanner
Hello, sorry it’s been so long getting back to you. That completely slipped my mind about checking for shorted sensors. I did just that and the third one I unplugged was the tps as soon as I did my check engine light came on, I had comm with pcm and it fired right up. I shut it off plugged it back in cleared the code and restarted it. I have not replaced the tps yet and it’s been running like a champ ever since. Thank you for taking time out of your life to help me. Much appreciated. Thank you, Steve willis

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds