Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Jump starting

More
2 years 9 months ago #50050 by autojoe
Jump starting was created by autojoe
Read this on fb. Did 400 dollars damage. Can't believe this unless reversed polarity when hooking jumper cables up. Is this true?
The price of being a Good Samaritan. Got asked for a jump start at WalMart and, being a good guy, obliged them. All the lights on my dash lit up and the car got really sluggish after the start. Turns out jumping newer model cars shorts the sensors in parts of the motor. Several mechanics at AutoZone as well as my mechanics said NEVER jump start another car. It creates chaos in the electrical parts of cars with check engine lights and can short out any number of sensors. Guess I got “lucky” I only shorted out two. Maybe I’ll save some friends from the same experience. I had no idea!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50055 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Jump starting
What did he have to replace? I'll just say it hasn't happened to me yet   or anyone I know for that matter... 

More
2 years 9 months ago #50056 by autojoe
Replied by autojoe on topic Jump starting
Thanks for the reply. I don't know. I have a noco boost pack and never had a problem with newer vehicles. Just seen post and wondered if anyone else experienced any problems.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50058 by autojoe

More
2 years 9 months ago #50059 by autojoe
Has to be fake.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50071 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Jump starting
Hasn't happened to me, either? :silly: I jump start stuff all the time.

I find that most cars suffer more from the low battery voltage condition than from the jump start itself. If you didn't understand what was going on, you might associate the symptoms with the jump, instead of the low voltage.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50082 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Jump starting
Sounds like BS, to me. I would bet money that someone hooked the cables up backwards. I have seen that a few times. Especially, from a guy that considers the employees at Autozone to be "Mechanics".

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
2 years 9 months ago #50083 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Jump starting
Never experienced this personally, just hear'say...

I remembered a discussion a couple of years ago:
www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/the-...jumper-cables.153109

And this is a quite interesting reading on transients in an automotive environment: 
www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics_t...application_note.pdf

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds