Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Scratching My Head

More
2 years 9 months ago #50002 by montesick2021
Hello everyone.  My nane is Jerry. I have a 1995 Monte Carlo Ls with the 3.1 V6. I am hoping I can get help with a nagging issue with my car. I have had this car for 23 years and do all repair work myself. Several months ago the high pressure power steering line ruptured. I replaced it. and the car was driving fine for about a couple of weeks. I went to go to work one morning and started the car and it had a bad miss in the engine. I figured it was probably the plugs and plug wires, so I replaced them. It was not the problem. It is missing on the #3 cylinder. I then pulled the upper intake and checked the fuel injectors, they checked out fine. I then checked my coil packs they check out fine buy my repair manual specs. However I noticed that when the engine was running the #3 was arching over to the #2 on the coil packs. I then broke down and took it to a reputable auto mechanic. I told him I was getting a miss on the #3. I left it with him for a day so he could check it out. When I went to get it he diagnosed it as having a bad injector drive in the computer and said I need a new one. So I had a new one installed and guess what? Still had the same miss. Being frustrated I decided to do some more homework on the problem. I changed around the the #2and #5 coil pack with the #3and #6 coil pack to see if the miss would move. It didn't. Still missing on the #3. I then turned into the dreaded parts changer. I replaced all of the sensors except for the 02 sensor and the VSS sensor as well as the erg valve. I also had the ICM checked and it was fine. When I replaced the crank sensor located at the back of the engine I noticed the purple and yellow wire insulation had melted together from the power steering fluid getting on them when the hose busted, so I fixed them. The powersteering fluid also got all over the VSS sensor.  I don't know if that had messed up the new computer I had installed. Still no fix. I then went on youtube and started looking at videos made by different mechanics and came across ScannerDanner. I started trying to learn about the electrical side of the car. I started checking the 5v grounds and the tps ,mas flow and coolant temp sensors check out fine. The low coolant sensor is reading 11.68v with the ignition in the on position. In the repair manual in the wiring diagram it is suppose to be 5v. I also checked the The VSS sensor which is suppose to be 1500 and 1650 ohms at 68 degrees. I am getting 1168. It also says in the manual to check ac voltage by back probing the connector and turning the ignition to the on position and it should read .5ac and increase as you rotate the right front tire. I got no ac voltage when I turned on the ignition and when I rotated the tire nothing changed so I started the car and put it in drive. I had the front of the car on jack stands. the sensor read 3.3ac volts at 1100 rpm. the car shifts fine and the odometer and tach works fine when I am driving. I also took and tied into the wiring harness of the fuel injectors with another wiring harness of the same so I don't have to pull the upper intake to check the pulse of the injectors with a test light so I could check the pulse under driving conditions. The #3 does not pulse if the car is running unless you are giving it gas. When you stop mashing on the gas it stops. It will also pulse when you are turning the engine over. When the car starts it stops unless you are giving it gas. I also noticed at night when I would turn the signal light on the #3 would lightly pulse with the signal light. The check engine light has not come on at all to tell me anything. I bought a good scan tool and its telling me that I have no EMC codes. It does tell me when I am driving that driver circuits 1 2and 3 are good and driver circuit 4 is bad. Can somebody tell me what's on that circuit? What am I missing?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50051 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic Scratching My Head
Hi montesick2021.

Battery voltage where you should have 5v, is an indication of bad ground in 5V pcm regulator.

The other rare symptoms you are mentioning, are also related to bad ground.

It doesn't mean bad pcm. Then i would check first pcm grounds and then grounds in general.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds