Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No Start When Hot

More
2 years 9 months ago #49901 by lastfbody
No Start When Hot was created by lastfbody
Hi,
I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.7L V8. It will not start restart when hot. It has to cool down before it will go again. I have replaced the cam and crank sensors and fuel pump to no avail. The check engine light is not on and there are no trouble codes. When engine is running, it is flawless. It also has 8 new ignition coils and spark plugs. So far, I am a great parts changer!

A Jeep technician said he thinks that it needs the engine wire harness replaced? I am trying to be sure about that before attempting.

I have a multimeter, code reader, and all other mechanical and wiring repair tools. I have repaired many types of automotive electrical issues for many years. This one is making me look bad. Please help.

Thanks, Mike P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #49902 by lastfbody
Replied by lastfbody on topic No Start When Hot
I left out one other intermittent problem that happens while driving. The voltmeter will suddenly start going down indicating a no-charge condition. This seems to happen at highway speeds. If i slow the vehicle speed to city type driving, the volt meter will come back up and resume charging.

Thanks, MP

More
2 years 9 months ago #49903 by lastfbody
Hi,

One more quick comment that I left out originally. The computer was also replaced. The problem remained.

Thanks, MP

More
2 years 9 months ago #49904 by lastfbody
Hi,

While trying to start hot, it almost starts but on stumbles. It seems like a security issue with the SKIM unit?

Thanks, MP

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 9 months ago #50015 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic No Start When Hot
Do you have a scan tool that will display data?
I'm thinking that the coolant temperature sensor could be skewed. After sitting over night the Engine Coolant Temperature should be within a couple degrees of the Intake Air Temperature.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 9 months ago #50016 by lastfbody
I do have that tool. I can check that out. However, the temp sensor and thermostat have been replaced. Temp gauge reads normally in cluster.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50033 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic No Start When Hot
What actually is missing when the engine does not restart after a hot soak?, you got spark, injector pulse, do you see rpm on the scanner? Does it take some time, maybe a minute or so to not restart or does it fail to restart immideately once you shut it off? Vaporlock??

An immobilizer problem would not avoid restarting within the first 5 seconds after shut off, within this timespan the start does not need authorization from the skim.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50038 by lastfbody
Have not had a scanner hooked up when it fails to start. Should I do that? What do I need to look at?

When hot, I can shut it off and it will restart immediately once or twice. After that, it will "try" to run, but will not. Sounds like it is trying to run on 1 or 2 cylinders. After waiting approx 1 hour, it will restart and run as if no problem.

I'm thinking of bleeding fuel pressure down at rail and see if that makes a difference.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50039 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic No Start When Hot
Hello guys,

Could that be a fuel issue? if it's flooded, with throttle on the floor, crank it until start.

If it's lack of fuel, start fluid and crank it.

Is it spark? Plug wire/coil out near ground, crank it and watch.

You need to find a patern.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50040 by lastfbody
No evidence of over fuel rich condition. Working on it this afternoon to do some more hunting.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50045 by lastfbody
Just put up the tools. Had to replace starter. It failed from over use with a long period dealing with the hot start issue - 1+ years. I had forgotten to mention that occasionally on initial start up, engine seems to struggle to turn over at first. Then ok afterwards. Reminds me of starting with too much timing advance?

I drove it to get it jot. Then parked it. Turned on and off 3 times and would restart. 4th attempt yielded the all to familiar no start. I immediately went to fuel rail bleed valve and dropped the pressure. It did restart afterwards? So, if this is a potential vapor lock, what needs to be done? Engine is 4.7 V8.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50049 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic No Start When Hot
Hi. Vapor lock occurs at low pressure and high temp (i would say extrem temp with high pressure), so i'm afraid i doesn't make sense to me. Anyway i would repeat test.

*Did it star inmediately?
*Did you see any smoke?

More
2 years 9 months ago #50081 by lastfbody
After starter replaced, I would get a hesitation of the starter to engage. Solenoid clicking. Finally would engage and spin motor. Starter i took off would do same? Thinking poor ground, I improved all battery cable connections. Did not change anything. This is intermittent but does happen quite often.

On the no start that came after the terminal cleaning, I noticed that the tach was not moving. After trying several times, the tach needle moved and it started. The engine check light came on this time. Need to scan the code.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds