Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

A/C Diag - 2013 Chevy Equinox LT

More
2 years 10 months ago #49695 by Archer
Hello everyone,

I could use some help on an A/C diag for a 2013 Chevy Equinox with AWD and a V6. Another tech diagnosed it as needing the works - compressor, condenser, drier and a new shrader valve for the high side port. Its all back together now, and the cooling fans will not kick on unless I jump the load side of the relay. To the best of his knowledge, he recalls the fans working properly prior to the repair. The A/C still blows hot, even though the compressor kicks on.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49700 by Ben
What are your high and low side pressures? do they fluctuate? Do they run the low side down to under 20 psi after a minute ? Does the condenser get hot?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

More
2 years 10 months ago #49702 by Hardtopdr2
did he replace orifice tube and look at h block? Were there any dtcs for temp blend door actuators or actuator counts not matching normal travel counts? did he inspect for rodent nests in temp flap area? what are pressures when it is running with compressor on? does high side go really high and low side go really low/vac? did he flush ac lines if it had "the black death" ? or replace those as well?

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49718 by Archer
I don't know if the orifice tube was replaced or if the lines were flushed. The condenser is not heating up at all. No DTC's except for a permanent Cooling Fan Control Circuit code. Static pressures are 38 (low) and 100 (high) and running they are 26 (low) and 105 (high). The pressures do not fluctuate beyond that. 

The blend doors also seem to be operating properly, but that's purely from a visual inspection.

Thank you all so much for your help!
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Archer.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49721 by Hardtopdr2
As it looks with the pressures you have you are under charged. I am busy right now but let me see what I can find out

More
2 years 10 months ago #49722 by Tyler
The high side pressure isn't high enough to made the PCM activate the fans. That'd be why they aren't coming on.

In the HVAC module, what's the compressor solenoid actual current?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49730 by Archer
Unfortunately, the shop I work for seems to be more interested in selling parts than diag time so I wasn't able to check voltage at the HVAC module. They put another tech on it this morning and he threw the expansion block at it and it seems to have fixed the issue. 

As far as pressures, the only info I've been able to find was a chart in one of the videos from Ratchets and Wrenches on YouTube. According to that, with the ambient temp around 80 F and humidity above 60%, the low side should have been between 27 - 42psi and the high side should have been between 128 - 181psi.

Thank you both for the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds