Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 F150 5.0 Oil Change Light Stuck on

More
2 years 10 months ago #49576 by AJeep18
So this is an interesting one... my friend (who live in another state) has this truck... The other week the change oil indicator came on the dash, he changed the oil and went about his way, but when he went to reset the light it was stuck on. By that I mean, when you turn the key on the truck says: oil change required, and then if you press the "OK" button the message should go away and you can see the screen again, but no matter what you do pressing the OK button does nothing. He went ahead and put a new switch pack in, and this did nothing. All the other buttons on that side work (cruse, radio, etc...) but the OK button seems to do nothing. Someone suggested that it might be a clock spring, but my understanding of the wiring diagram, was that all the buttons use the same two wires, each button just has a different resistance to tell the computer what you are doing, is this correct? He has tried disconnecting the battery, touching the cables together, resetting KAM, and unplugging the display... nothing has worked. Thoughts, or a reliable mechanic around Greenville, TN? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49577 by AJeep18
This light will not clear with the "OK" button 

More
2 years 10 months ago #49596 by Tyler
Has your friend gone into the settings menu to reset the oil life? I forget the exact path, but it's in there. ;) That's the source of the oil change message.

If they can't navigate through the menu because the OK button doesn't work, then that's a different discussion.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49597 by AJeep18
Yeah he can’t get to the menu because the ok button isn’t working. All the other buttons work and he had replaced the switch pack that has the ok button 

More
2 years 10 months ago #49599 by Matt T
That's the "change oil NOW!!" message that comes on after ignoring "change oil soon". So it might be impossible to clear it without a scan tool. Maybe ask your friend if the OK button quit working when the message changed??

More
2 years 10 months ago #49601 by AJeep18
Interesting… I do believe they occurred at the same time which seemed coincidental but stranger things have happened! He was up by me last weekend and there was no way for me to clear it with my 525x. Ford OE software maybe? 

More
2 years 10 months ago #49602 by Tyler
Just had a look at the OE diagram. Appears that the message center controls have their own two wires that go to the up/down/left/right/OK buttons, and no where else. Switch pack -> clockspring -> instrument cluster.

If your 525X can talk to the cluster, you could see if there are input PIDs for the buttons themselves. Or, go to the clockspring and take a couple voltage readings at the connector on the column side. See if they match what's on the steering wheel side.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49607 by AJeep18
Ok thanks. I looked for the data PIDS and could not find anything besides the cruise buttons. I'm not sure how much electrical testing he want to do so he may just take it to a shop, or just roll the dice and put a clock spring in :) 

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds