Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Cavalier 2.2 no start

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49461 by cadman777
Hey Guys,
Can anybody tell me if the 2001 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L SFI 4 door sedan has an inertia switch that shuts off the fuel pump, or some other switch that shuts it off?
My neighbor's car won't start and it's got spark but I can't get the fuel pump to turn-on when actuating it from a scan tool.
According to Edmonds forum these cars are notorious for no start and stalling while driving for no reason and are nearly impossible to fix by the stealerchip.
Anyway, please let me know what I can read to find out this secret info that Garbage Machine keeps hidden from us poor schmuk plebes out here in slave land.
Thanx!
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by cadman777.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49464 by Doodah14
Replied by Doodah14 on topic 2001 Cavalier 2.2 no start
No, there is no inertia switch. Did you Check the Fuel Pressure with a Gauge? If so, Check for B+ at the Pump, Back probed while its commanded on. Then Check the ground. (Back probed while commanded on, for voltage.)
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Doodah14.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49465 by cadman777
Thanx for the tips.

That's what I'm working on now, b/c the damned fuel line has no tap. It's just that the Florida sun is cooking my head so I gotta get this thing pushed into the shade!

Otherwise, first I have to dissemble the whole top of the engine (air intake and injectors guard) to get to the connection and then make a pair of adapters. It's gonna break some of the hardened vacuum lines, which I wanted to avoid, due to the expense.

Gotta luv those Richard Cranium engineers at Garbage Machine! Always thinking of ways to hose the maintenance guys!

Also, looking at the wiring schematic, looks like the only thing that cuts off the fuel pump is the cooling reservoir level sensor. When I think about that, I have to laugh, b/c wouldn't it be much more reasonable to not only have a coolant cut-off but also a OIL PRESSURE cut-off? I didn't find anything like that in the wiring schematic. But maybe that's handled in PCM? Any ideas?

Oh yeah, and in order to get to the fuel pump connectors, I gotta drop the tank. I guess I can pierce the wires close to the tank, but that's not thorough enough for me. Besides, I wanted to do all the easy stuff before dropping the tank, b/c maybe I wouldn't have to.

One would'a figured they would think enough ahead to add an access hole in the floor pan above the fuel pump, right?
There's a reason why I was a HONDA tech back in the day!

Anyway, I really gotta know how this system works BEFORE I can test what I need to test. Where can I get this info FOR FREE?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49468 by Doodah14
Replied by Doodah14 on topic 2001 Cavalier 2.2 no start
I've looked at the diagram also. Its a very simple system. its an 01 Cavalier correct? the only parts to the system are the Pump, relay and fuse. The relay is commanded on by the PCM. (the relay is the starting point for me after a Pressure gauge.) Also, if i remember this car right the Fuel filter is Near the tank and fairly easy to access. That is were i would attach the gauge if you cant find a service port. the tank in this car comes down fairly easy. you can lower it enough to get a back probe in there also.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49470 by cadman777
OK great, thanx.
Already checked the relay.
Yeah, the fuel filter is where I was going after pressure testing.
But still it's got a threaded and snap connection, so I still have to make adapters.
But it may be an easier connection even though I'll be on my back in the mud.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49476 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 2001 Cavalier 2.2 no start
Beat on the fuel tank while cranking the car. If it starts replace pump

More
2 years 10 months ago #49480 by cadman777
Good point.
That's worth a try.
Thanx for the idea.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49500 by cadman777
Cheryl,
Your suggestion worked.
An old school trick I totally forgot... so thanx!
Thanx also for saving me 2 hours of wasted work, and crawling around on my back in the mud. When I finally got the car up and began working on it, the filter dumped out black gas, the pump was all but trashed, and the fp relay was bad (I swapped it w/the AC relay to test the pump on the first try, so when the girl took her car back the AC didn't work w/the fp relay in its fuse box slot).
Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds