Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Buick Skylark, multiple computer issues....NEED HELP !!

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49383 by GuitarGuy123456
hello!
     I am a guy over 60  with fair basic knowledge of cars and related systems however,  computers and theft systems are almost but out of my reach.
I came across your  Cadillac Eldorado video  today as I searched for assistance on our 1996 Buick Skylark. You got a 97 GM I got a  96 GM, maybe something to learn here...  You gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe our Buick is not beyond repair....
     So here's the very very long story,   We have seen a degenerating situation where,  since we bought the car, four years ago,  the anti theft light would flicker randomly yet always started strong and ran GREAT !  Then one day in the last month, the coolant temp gauge went out.  Then speedometer, then oil light stayed on,   then most cluster lights would light and would stay lit even when the engine was running.  Becoming more frequent was this :the engine would start, run for a second or 2 then quit. After multiple attempts to start , the engine would start and perform perfectly with all cluster indicator lights on...!  NOTE ** We do not normally drive our cars with oil lights on.  When the oil is on level, no bad noises , no tapping or rapping ,, we know the engine is not being damaged, we have driven it short distances.  That said, I bought a plug and play computer from Fla. $200.00.  SAME problems persisted.
    Then,  after  seeking a direction, I was convinced that the problem was in the instrument cluster. So I removed it and sent it to New Jersey for a complete overhaul. $350.00  later,  I have the same situation. Repair guy in NJ says the cluster was a wreck with many bad solder joints and gas gage ruined.. claims to have fixed all and sent a video to me showing his equipment and my cluster on his bench.  He was aware that we do not want the security active in the cluster. He said all is fixed and however the car has defeated the security, it will still  start and run as it has in the past.
The keys are Home Depot keys. no resister.
The radio was replaced and is NOT a GM product.
Passlock has been defeated, somehow. The 2 wires from the key switch are still in tact to the connector under the dash.
     Also at the time of purchase, we were told that the vehicle was in an accident,  the cluster was from another car and the odometer was wrong: reading 77,000 when the reality was 120,000. We agreed to buy since it started, and ran strong.
RELATED : On line videos indicate a process necessary to do involving the codes that came with the car and entering them into the computer through the radio. previously stated radio is not a GM radio, besides not having any codes for the vehicle anyway.
     So, the final kick is this, Since reinstalling the cluster, the key will not come out of the ignition. A problem that we have never had. Replacement key switch assembly is about  $250.00. tumbler set with key about $40.00 .
     So there you have it. Any suggestions? starting points? Any help would be appreciated. 
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by GuitarGuy123456. Reason: sentence structure easier to read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49401 by hoosierrick
Check the power to the gauges fuse. ignition switches used to burn up. GM had a recall on some cars to install a starter relay to take the load off the ignition switch.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49423 by GuitarGuy123456
Thanks for taking a moment to respond,
My test light shows all fuses up front next to battery are good ( test light lights from both sides of the fuse). In earlier efforts to trouble shoot, I found a fair amount of corrosion on and around the POS bolt/sta-kon connector to the main fuse holder bracket. l cleaned completely, no change, checked around and cleaned all grounds I could find ... no change. Typically the car starts with a very short (one second) tap of the key. Very responsive. Even when all lights were staying on after starting. Today Saturday, I'm putting the original computer back in to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks again
Dave G.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50855 by scott.tucker
GM ignition system and security system not real good on those your model cars best thing to do is bypass security system you're probably find that it's just a bad ground cause and all the gauge problems not sure why the switch won't turn off or was it on but have you ran a scan on the car what code does it have

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds