Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

89 full size Blazer TBI 5.7L 4wd stalls

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49366 by Smoggyboy
Hello All, this 89 Blazer has a 2 second crank to start up, idles well and accelerates well. Has an intermittent off idle stall after extended idle. With a labscope, checked coil primary pattern (white wire from coil to distributor) both signal wires to PCM ( purple wire and white wires) 3 channels at onc.  The secondary ignitin pattern and  both injector patterns. The pickup coil holm reading was well within spec. TPS sweep had no drop outs.  Purple signal didn't look uniform as the white wire. IAC  seemed to be sticking causing a high idle at times but holm readings were well within spec. Coil holm readings were well within spec. Fuel pressure reading at idle and 2500 rpm within spec,and to tee in with fuel filter removed took ingenuity. I've replaced the ignition module, the IAC valve, the distributor cap and rotor and the fuel filter. The SUV still has intermittent stall off idle after extended idle weather in park or in gear. Ignition timing is a 0. The only thing I see is the distributor hall effect is rusty. The parts I replaced were defective but getting costly, I don't want to condemn  the distributor but it's next on the list. Hope this doesn't make anyone laugh, but if it does, hey it's a learning experience, thanks. Also condition exists with the EGR disconnected and the injection pattern with a shop light has a good concave appearance.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Smoggyboy. Reason: adding information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds