Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

AC system; where to turn to next?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49324 by JROB27
2001 toyota tacoma 2.4l I4
I was put my gauges on this trucks AC system. First the resting pressure was higher than it should be at 100 psi on an 80 degree day. Then i started it up and turned on the AC and both sides was low 30 psi on the low side and 150 psi on high side. I figured a leak so i put in some UV dye and couldnt find a leak. But i turned the car off and The resting pressure for the low side was different from the high side.  Low side was 60 psi and high was 125 psi (On an 80 degree day). This resting pressure difference cant be do to my leak so thats seperate problem. But what is the cause of this difference in resting refrigerant pressures? Could it be the valve cores of the ac lines? Im stuck on this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49330 by hoosierrick
First, do you have an a/c problem? Is it not cooling at all?, not getting very cold?
100psi on an 80 degree day is not that out of line. What is the outlet temps when operating at 30/150?. How long did you wait for pressures to equalize after shutting engine off?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49343 by JROB27
Once I put in more Freon with the UV dye in it, the Temps are around 42-45 degrees coming out the vents. Before that when the pressures were 30/ 150 psi the temps coming out of the Vents were not as cold i didnt even check the temp. After I put in the more freon when I shut the engine off I waited about 5 minutes for the pressures to equalize. And they never were the same.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49357 by al514
If they're not equalizing there must be something stopping the pressures from balancing out. If it never equals out than there's a restriction somewhere. Logically thinking about it, something has to be stopping the freon. Ac is tricky work for me most of the time. If it's not a simple leak, it seems to always get confusing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JROB27

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds