Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Chev Tahoe 5.3L PO340/PO341)

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49226 by robert.lesaca
Although there are no drivability problem, check engine lights would come and go. Owner menioned he repaced the CMP sensor with an after marke one. I scoped he CMP sensor. Iniial waveform showed a normal  0 to 5V digial waveform. However as i warmed up, waveform showed 3-5.6V and then back to 0 - 5V and back to 3-5.6V !

I reommended for an OEM cmp sensor from he dealer. Waveform now normal 0 to 5V during cold and hot engine. I decided to scope both CMP and CRK sensor just to see if both showed the same characteristic of a good one I found in Picos Library and they did.. Erased the fault codes, drove it around while observing CMP/CKP counter readings, MAF sensor, STFTs averaed  5-8% and O2 sensors on both banks were all good, and all seem fine. After a few times of starting and restarting,check engine lights is back on!

Would appreciae some assstance...thanks.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by robert.lesaca. Reason: inadvertently posted here...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49231 by Tyler
Same code(s) came back again?

Any chance the owner bent over one of the CMP reluctor teeth while he was trying to get the CMP sensor out? I've seen it before, and it's an easy thing to do.

I've also seen crank sensors play games on these engines. The latest one had the owner change the CMP three or four times before they gave up. :lol:

More
2 years 11 months ago #49232 by robert.lesaca
yes...at times its PO340 only; last time was both PO340/341 !

I will need to ask him. From what I gather, he tinkers around with his own vehicle.

Are the reluctor tooth soft to a point it can be bended?

More
2 years 11 months ago #49235 by Tyler
Eh, I dunno that they're unusually soft? It more depends on how stuck the sensor was, and how mean the owner got with it.

Normally, the CMP sensor breaks off flush with the timing cover during removal. Owners will try to get something on the broken part to get it out. If the reluctor wheel happens to have a tooth in front of the sensor, you can bend the tooth.

Grab the CKP/CMP waveform again, during a crank.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49278 by robert.lesaca
Hi Tyler...here is the cranking waveform at idle... 

File Attachment:

File Name: 2007ChevyT...tion.pdf
File Size:466 KB

The vehicle did run when I drove it for about 5 minutes. As I stopped at the light, check engine light came on. Did scan and both PO340/341 as well as a new PO430 (B2 3-way cat threshold). Im wondering if this has something to do with the CMP code.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49279 by robert.lesaca
I forgott o menion, owner has another battery connected in parallel to the existing battery. He said he encountered a low battery before and could not start the vehicle, the extra battery in parallel...can this be a factor?

More
2 years 11 months ago #49460 by robert.lesaca
Owner asked if replacing ECM will silve the intermittent problem. I told him I did check CMP and CRK at the ECM as well as low ref, signal and 5 V ref and test showed excellent readings and replacinf ECM is unneccesary. Owner took the chance and according to him the codes went away but a new one appeared that indicated CRK need to be relearned. He drove it several times and code is still there.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49466 by Cheryl
Perform crank variation relearn with scanner

More
2 years 11 months ago #49467 by Cheryl
Why does your waveform have voltages that are way off?

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds