Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Toyota Hilux: Hard start when cold

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49224 by Saverauto
Have a 2010/2011 Toyota Hilux. Engine is a 2.5L diesel (2KD-FTV).In the mornings the engine is hard to start. 

Changed primer pump & diesel filter. Still same problem.

Dropped fuel tank & cleaned fuel strainer (was blocked & covered in algae). Still same problem.

Removed glow plugs & checked resistance, all within spec (0.8 ohms).

Took a graph of fuel pressure vs. engine rpm. Not too sure if what I see is correct? The fuel pressure increases & gets the engine almost starting & then it drops rapidly.
Shouldn't the fuel pressure be relatively constant?

We also notice that you you have to press the accelerator to get the engine starting faster.

Leaning towards the high pressure fuel pump but looking for some input to justify ordering the part.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Saverauto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #49321 by Saverauto
Bumping thread to see if any takers on the captured graph.

Also bumping because I had a Toyota Hiace van with the exact same engine (2KD-FTV) come in with a similar problem.
Engine cranks & then takes too long to start. I did however notice that if you crank the first time & leave it cranking the engine doesn't start. You have to crank it for like a second or two & then cycle the key off. Cranking it a second time then gets the engine starting straight away (this method works all the time). New diesel filter & primer pump has good suction. Scanned & no fault codes. I'll update with additional checks as called it a day.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Saverauto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds