Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

How to test camshaft position sensor? - 1999 BMW 323is, 2.5L M52TU (I think)

More
2 years 11 months ago #49162 by JimT
Hi folks.  I have a 99 323is.  Check engine light came on, and car was not running well, which in this case means it was hesitating at anything below 3K rpms.  I thought for sure I was going to be reading a misfire code.  I used a Peake code reader (BMW aftermarket tool) and it gave me a code for a camshaft sensor.  Okay, that sounds reasonable.  But, I'm sure Danner would want to confirm that diagnosis, and I can't recall how he might do it.  BMW also calls this part a pulse generator.  

I have access to a factory style scan tool for this car, so is there something I can view (voltage readings maybe?) that will show if it's not reading what it should?  I do not have an oscilloscope, but if that's what I would need, it would be good to know.  Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49170 by Andy.MacFadyen
BMW cam sensors are 3 wire hall effect --- the wires are Power, Signal and ground ISTR it is a 12v Ref supply on BMW
What was the excat code
With fault codes it is important to know the exact code. Fault codes essentially devide into twomain categories Performance Codes( including cam-crank synch codes) or Circuit Codes
A circuit code is an break or high resistance.
A performance code is an unexpected or missing or erratic signal.
Without an oscilloscope or graphing voltmeter all you can really do is check the wiring and connectors for damage and power & ground.
As the engine is running you could try check the AC voltage and frequency but as the enging is running I don't think it will reveal anything.

Without an osciloscope if no fault was obvious from visual and pull tug examination unless it it is a cam-crank synch code knowing BMW cam sensor and as thes ensors aren't expensive I would try swaptronics

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 11 months ago #49172 by JimT
Andy,
Thanks for the background.  Using the Peake reader, it gave the code as Table 11, #41.  Checking the "key", it says cam sensor.  Not sure whether it is indicating bad information or loss of communication.

Following your additional information, I'll check all the wiring and if all looks okay, I'll get another and swap them and see how it goes.  

Thanks again,
Jim

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds