Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] Mazda 2.3L turbo overcharging problem

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49155 by btray09
  2009 Mazda cx7 sport, 2.3L turbo. Output voltage from generator oscillating between 15.5 and 18.5 volts while idling, remains above 18v when rpms rise. Desired voltage output from computer shows 14v on scan tool. Vehicle idles rough when generator connector is plugged in and I get several DTC s showing circuit high, airbag dtc s, and abs dtcs as well.  Unplug 2 wire connector at terminal, runs fine and trouble codes are not active. Replaced alternator and getting same exact issues.  blu and gry wires from field terminals to pcm are good. ( no opens or shorts)  Questioning PCM power, grounds?  Also has a constant clicking coming from what i believe is the swirl shutter valve while the key is on. No Batt light on dash either. The only other thing I can think of is I noticed in my live data streams that it showed low input voltage to the PCM @ 7.4v.  I have a few ideas, but could use some experienced direction before I condemn the PCM.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49157 by Cheryl
If these are the same as fords they should go into default charge. Unplug the alternator and rev snap the throttle passed 3000 rpm a few times should default to 13.5 volts.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49158 by Tyler
That input voltage at 7.4V... I'd definitely go over PCM powers and grounds with a test light or substitute load.

What's the voltage reading on the case of the alternator itself during the overcharging?

More
2 years 11 months ago #49163 by btray09
Will try next opportunity and let you know results.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49207 by btray09
Was a power issue. ECM fuse 10A was completely missing. Restored and now alt. works great. Now on to the rest of the problems. Thanks for the help
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
2 years 11 months ago #49214 by Tyler
Thanks for the follow up! :cheer: Great catch with the input voltage in the scan data. This could have got a PCM or three... :lol:

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds