Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Stft dives under acceleration

More
2 years 11 months ago #49100 by Ian83
Hey all I had a quick question for the experts. Recently did an engine swap into my 1974 2002. It's a 1998 m44 4 cylinder with a supercharger running a rrfpr for fuel management. The engine runs great at idle and light driving with ltft averaging around +6-7 and stft sitting + - 5 percent or so. When I put my foot into it the stft dives to the -20 range and then recovers when I let off. I don't have a great understanding of fuel trims but would like to get this sorted. What are your thoughts on what is going on here? Thanks guys sorry for the long post just wanted to get the info out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 11 months ago #49105 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Stft dives under acceleration

Ian83 post=49100Hey all I had a quick question for the experts. Recently did an engine swap into my 1974 2002. It's a 1998 m44 4 cylinder with a supercharger running a rrfpr for fuel managemanagemet

I understood "supercharger"...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49109 by Andy.MacFadyen
Your rising rate fuel regulator is adding too much fuel pressure when the boost pressure rises.
You could try adjusting  the regulator pressure setting downwards to reduce the put the fuel trims slightly negative at idle  to stop the fuel trims maxing out under boost
But uising this type of afermarket fuel pressure regulator  is bodge. junking it and going up a size in injectors might work.  I would look for advice on it from one make BMW forum but as always with one make forums do a sanity on any advice offered.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Ian83

More
2 years 11 months ago #49111 by ScannerDanner
"when I put my foot into it", I am assuming you are talking about wide open throttle? I have to be honest, I've never looked at trims or much cared about them at WOT or heavy acceleration. Maybe I am missing a tool I could be using for the acceleration period? But for sure at wide open throttle, we don't want to be at shoich, so trim numbers are invalid (can I say that?) 

Don't be a parts changer!

More
2 years 11 months ago #49114 by Ian83
Replied by Ian83 on topic Stft dives under acceleration
This makes sense to me, I will back off the rising rate regulator and bring idle trim slightly negative and see if that will get wot closer to where it should be.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49115 by Ian83
Thanks for the reply, I am just watching the trims as I drive in generic obd2 mode live data. I would not be concerned if the wot did not seem to drag the ltft's down with spirited driving. I am going to try to reduce the rrfp regulator and will report back.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49120 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Stft dives under acceleration
What's the Loop status while the trims are at -20%? If it's Open, then I'd be careful about making changes to the fuel delivery based on those numbers.

Are you running an AFR sensor? Or, would it be possible to get one and check the actual lambda during heavier loads?

More
2 years 11 months ago #49121 by Ian83
I am a novice with obd2 operations but I believe it is running closed loop based on the o2 sensor values bouncing around. (This is an assumption I made and could be wrong)
I backed off the rising rate regulator but saw no change in my trim values. I am confused. Thinking this regulator may be trash.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds