Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 K1500 5.7. Frustrated????

More
2 years 11 months ago #49017 by Jd10623
Hi, JD here. I have a 1997 K1500 4x4. . parts new. Fuel pump, spider injection, new fuel regulator, crankshaft sensor, temp sensor, distributor,new plugs,wires, new MAP, MAF, new steering box. Truck was running good. Parked it for 3 weeks to get new steering box on. Truck starts right up. Idles ok. Was missing some. Try to move it. Bucks and jumps won't pull itself.. backfires in intake. Won't take fuel. DIES.. put fuel pressure gauge on it.. 12 pounds of pressure is all I get. It should not start at all. It's supposed to have 55lbs to start.. I'm going nuts.. I've checked fuel relay. All is fine.. could it be ground problem?? Truck has been 80 miles on new fuel pump.. please help!!!! Thank you JD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #49018 by Ben
Could be, unfortunately it's hard to get to the ground location with the tank in (unless it has a flatbed) so you will probably have to drop the tank. The test is easy enough using a DVOM check voltage on power wire and ground wire while you back there , on a side note pump failure is also a possibility I wouldn't rule anything out just because it's nearly new.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

More
2 years 11 months ago #49024 by Hardtopdr2
I have had bad new fuel pumps so don't beat your head too much

More
2 years 11 months ago #49026 by Tutti57
Not sure if this video would help you or not, using current since the pump is hard to get to.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 11 months ago #49040 by Ben
Tapatalk don't open the video for me. but I had thought about current however all the testing I did using current clamp wasn't definitive enough to call a ground problem or a bad pump as both would/could cause low current

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 11 months ago #49046 by Matt T

Ben wrote: Tapatalk don't open the video for me. but I had thought about current however all the testing I did using current clamp wasn't definitive enough to call a ground problem or a bad pump as both would/could cause low current

I haven't watched the vid either but the description mentions measuring pump RPM. That's done by 'scoping the current and measuring the time across, usually, 8 commutator segments.

Low voltage across the pump will give low current and low RPM. A bad pump will be low current high RPM or high current low RPM depending on what's wrong with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
2 years 11 months ago #49075 by 70monte
If you can't get to the wires unbolting the bed and moving it back is a lot easier than dropping the tank, especially with a full tank.

We replaced a fuel pump on a 97 GMC with a long bed and we took out the eight bolts, 4 on each side, and disconnected the rear light harness and just slid the bed back and rested the back end on a 55 gallon barrel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds