Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:Re:RE: P0300

More
7 years 2 months ago #6533 by Gitr
P0300 was created by Gitr
Hey Team, kind of stumped on a P0300 code set on a 2007 Jeep Compass, 2.4 Liter. tests preformed already include---> coil swap, plug swap, injector test and swap, compression test all cyl at or around 145psi on all, fuel trim is srt trm 0 , Long term at 2.3, ect test good. fuel pressure is good. mass air at 4.5 to 4.8v at idle, tested for vacuum leaks and found none. can provide more info if needed tomorrow. { story is } no misfire recorded at idle. only recorded when giving fuel in park or drive. engine runs smooth during episode misfire counter climbs on scanner but as I said engine runs smooth, and has no engine noise . motologic shows no pcm update. engine has 82k miles. Any Ideas? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6534 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:P0300
Does your missfire counter show which cylinder is misfiring?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 2 months ago #6535 by Gitr
Replied by Gitr on topic Re:P0300
yes I'm sorry 1 and 4

More
7 years 2 months ago #6536 by Gitr
Replied by Gitr on topic P0300
cyl 1 and 4 shows the misfire count

More
7 years 2 months ago #6537 by Ben
But you can't feel a misfire at all when the counter is saying there are misfires?

More
7 years 2 months ago #6538 by Gitr
nope not at all lol even test drove and all was smooth

More
7 years 2 months ago #6539 by Gitr
I'm thinking maybe valve springs week

More
7 years 2 months ago #6540 by Gitr
I hate spell check lol

More
7 years 2 months ago #6541 by Ben
Well I think a leak down test is in order. A running in cylinder capture would be great but that is a set of tools you probably don't have access to? There's a low tech way to do this with a standard compression tester with the engine running, But it's pretty rough on the hoses to say the least so I wouldn't do it to my set....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gitr

More
7 years 2 months ago #6542 by Ben
Your mass air seems a little high for idle on a warm engine .what do STFT do if you power brake it where it counts misfires?

More
7 years 2 months ago #6548 by Gitr
power brake, fuel trim goes rich

More
7 years 2 months ago #6549 by Gitr
I have a leak down test gage. I will perform test in the am.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6550 by Gitr
stft moves a little but returns to 0 quickly.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6556 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0300
Actually, I've seen this before. :lol: On the same engine. I was able to watch the misfire counts tell me there were dead misfires when I could feel the engine run perfectly.

I was never able to determine what the initial problem was, but I know I got the false misfires to quit with a soft reset. Disconnect the battery cables, short them together with a test light, leave them for half and hour and come back to it. I bet the code and misfire counts will be gone :cheer:

More
7 years 2 months ago #6558 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic P0300
Aren't 1 & 4 companion cylinders on these engines ? If so for me that points back again towards ignition. With wasted spark an open plug lead can take down 2 cylinders.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 2 months ago #6559 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic P0300

Tyler wrote: Actually, I've seen this before. :lol: On the same engine. I was able to watch the misfire counts tell me there were dead misfires when I could feel the engine run perfectly.

I was never able to determine what the initial problem was, but I know I got the false misfires to quit with a soft reset. Disconnect the battery cables, short them together with a test light, leave them for half and hour and come back to it. I bet the code and misfire counts will be gone :cheer:

I like it :-)

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 2 months ago #6563 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:RE: P0300

Tyler wrote: Actually, I've seen this before. :lol: On the same engine. I was able to watch the misfire counts tell me there were dead misfires when I could feel the engine run perfectly.

Now we're getting somewhere! I was thinking that this has to be a software problem if he can't feel any misses but it's logging like crazy . Wonder why there's no software update for this ECM it sounds like it has affected more than 1 of these vehicles

More
7 years 2 months ago #6604 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:RE: P0300

Ben wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere! I was thinking that this has to be a software problem if he can't feel any misses but it's logging like crazy . Wonder why there's no software update for this ECM it sounds like it has affected more than 1 of these vehicles

I wondered the same thing! I searched and searched for some kind of history on this problem, never could find one. :-( I ended up letting mine go after the soft reset.

I wondered about a shifted flex plate, but the cam/crank waveforms were perfect. Best theory I have is the misfire detection monitor getting confused somehow, and ends up tricking itself.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago #6657 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:RE: P0300
I've heard of sloppy drive belts or tensioners flagging these codes, but haven't run into it myself as of yet.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 11 months ago #49066 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Re:RE: P0300
I am dealing with this right now on a 2.4 L with cylinders 1 and 4 showing misfires but there are no misfires! Was looking in my own forum for some help and it seems I may have found some :-)
Any other updates from you guys on this?? Thank you!

Don't be a parts changer!

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds