Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2009 Mazda CX-7 P0302 Misfire At Idle Only

More
3 years 15 hours ago #48772 by BLEE
2009 Mazda CX-7 with a P0302. The misfire mode 6 data shows it misfiring very frequently at idle for the first 15 mins until the engine is warmed up. The oscilloscope wave shows the ignition coils and the fuel injectors all good. The car has new spark plugs. The misfire stays on cylinder 2 even after moving coils and plugs around. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 hours ago #48787 by jreardon
intake manifold gasket leak? hit the number 2 runner where it meets cyl head with propane while it's missing and watch for the o2 to go rich. depending on how short the window is to test, you may have to opt for smoke machine.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48803 by BLEE
I will do that test for sure. I do have a smoke machine as well. I will watch the O2 sensors and fuel trims. Thank you.

Brian

More
2 years 11 months ago #48808 by Tyler
2.3L turbo? These engines LOVE to carbon their intake valves.

A pressure pulse sensor in the intake would confirm a carbon deposit issue. If that's not available, go straight to pulling the intake and cleaning the valves. If they've never been cleaned, they'll be nasty. :lol:

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48810 by BLEE
I have a pressure transducer; would that work? What do you exactly mean by a pressure pulse sensor in the intake? Would this cause the misfires to only happen when the engine is cold?

Thank you.

Brian
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by BLEE.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48811 by Tyler

BLEE wrote: I have a pressure transducer; would that work?

Which one, exactly? A Pico WPS500 would work, but a Fluke PV350 would not.

What do you exactly mean by a pressure pulse sensor in the intake?

A delta sensor, First Look Sensor, like that. It's a canister with a piezo disk that's very sensitive to pressure changes. This is a known good capture taken off a '15 Equinox. Relative compression in red, intake pulse in green, #1 sync in blue.

Would this cause the misfires to only happen when the engine is cold?

Absolutely. Carbon deposit issues usually show up worse when cold.

There are other issues that can cause that, of course, like a leaking head gasket or intake manifold gasket. Intake gaskets are pretty solid on these, IMO. You can check for a head gasket by getting the engine hot, pulling the plugs and pressurizing the cooling system overnight. Look for coolant in the morning.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48817 by BLEE
Thank you for the info. I made a pressure transducer that I have used for in-pressure cylinder testing for plugged cats. Are you using the pressure transducer in the cylinder? Pulling the plug out and putting in the pressure transducer?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48852 by Tyler

BLEE wrote: Thank you for the info. I made a pressure transducer that I have used for in-pressure cylinder testing for plugged cats. Are you using the pressure transducer in the cylinder? Pulling the plug out and putting in the pressure transducer?

That might work? But in my experience, carbon deposit issues usually don't show up very well on in-cylinder captures. The pressure pulse sensor on an intake port usually works better because it's measuring the breathing ability of each cylinder.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48953 by BLEE
That makes sense. I may have to do that. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds