Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm

More
3 years 1 week ago #48491 by John Curtis
2013 Ram 1500 3.6 Pentastar (personal vehicle)

Just started ticking and I’m going to be replacing all the rocker arms. It’s clearly upper end and I will be doing some non-invasive testing to see if I can determine which rocker is the problem and maybe make a video on it for learning purposes. Is there any tips for getting this done smoothly? Any special tools I will need? Thanks in advance

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48496 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm
How many miles? I'm not sure rockers is the fix for ticking?ticking is usually a caused by a worn or collapsed lifter. I've only had 1 pentastar that had ticking around 130k miles and an oil flush and synthetic oil cured it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

More
3 years 1 week ago #48497 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm
Someone else might have more info on this engine. I believe these are non adjustable rockers but I may be wrong?

More
3 years 1 week ago #48498 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm
If you really suspect a roller follower has failed, you'll need to inspect the cam lobes once you've got the valve covers off. It doesn't take long for the follower to start wearing into the lobe...

If the lobe is damaged, it's time for a camshaft, IMO. Camshafts can usually be replaced without timing cover removal.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48499 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm
On an unrelated note I love that dual pulse sensor holder! Did you design it? Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?

More
3 years 1 week ago #48500 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm
I like to think it's the lifter/lash adjuster and not the roller, I have 1 customer with 230k on problem free engine

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48501 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:3.6 Pentastar rocker arm

Tyler wrote: If the lobe is damaged, it's time for a camshaft, IMO. Camshafts can usually be replaced without timing cover removal.

I did a single roller rocker in a Pentastar at my last job.
Used a tool designed for Ford modular v8s and didn't even need to pull the camshaft. But it hadn't eaten the cam lobe yet.

Do you use some kind of wedge when changing the camshaft, like this one?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Noah.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48503 by Tyler

Noah wrote: I did a single roller rocker in a Pentastar at my last job.
Used a tool designed for Ford modular v8s and didn't even need to pull the camshaft. But it hadn't eaten the cam lobe yet.

I've done the same. I think it all comes down to how quickly the vehicle owner brings it in.

Yep, same idea. I dunno if this is the exact set I used? But it's close enough:

www.amazon.com/DPTOOL-Camshaft-Phaser-Ti...rysler/dp/B07RNNXJ3N

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 1 week ago #48520 by John Curtis

Ben wrote: How many miles? I'm not sure rockers is the fix for ticking?ticking is usually a caused by a worn or collapsed lifter. I've only had 1 pentastar that had ticking around 130k miles and an oil flush and synthetic oil cured it.

This is 104k on it. Since I’m going to be in there I’m doing the lifers and the rocker arms. You are correct they’re not adjustable. I’m expecting the cam to have some damage too but I know the rollers in the rocker arms do wear out on these.

And thanks man. I’ve got some stuff that I’m working on for secondary ignition. Not sure if it’s been done before so once I get a functional prototype I’ll be posting it.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48522 by John Curtis

Tyler wrote: If you really suspect a roller follower has failed, you'll need to inspect the cam lobes once you've got the valve covers off. It doesn't take long for the follower to start wearing into the lobe...

If the lobe is damaged, it's time for a camshaft, IMO. Camshafts can usually be replaced without timing cover removal.

I’m definitely expecting to do the cam as well just hoping it’s not necessary and I can return it. Ivhavent even had this long enough to do an oil change and it’s already been destroyed by the weather (hail damage) and now this. Luckily the OEM parts aren’t too bad but it does take up valuable time.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48523 by John Curtis

Noah wrote:

Tyler wrote: If the lobe is damaged, it's time for a camshaft, IMO. Camshafts can usually be replaced without timing cover removal.

I did a single roller rocker in a Pentastar at my last job.

I’m going to pick that up just because even if I never use it it’ll be nice to have in case I do.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48524 by John Curtis

Tyler wrote:

Noah wrote: I did a single roller rocker in a Pentastar at my last job.

I've done the same. I think it all comes down to how quickly the vehicle owner brings it in.

Yep, same idea. I dunno if this is the exact set I used? But it's close enough:

www.amazon.com/DPTOOL-Camshaft-Phaser-Ti...rysler/dp/B07RNNXJ3N

I just ordered this exact set last night.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48534 by Tyler

John Curtis wrote: And thanks man. I’ve got some stuff that I’m working on for secondary ignition. Not sure if it’s been done before so once I get a functional prototype I’ll be posting it.

I'll beta test for beer and cookies. B)

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds