Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Misfire fault

More
3 years 5 days ago - 3 years 5 days ago #48301 by nathan.thomas.burke
What's people's view on this
Hyundai 3cylinder 1ltr Kappa T-GDI MHEV
Cyilnder 1 missfire history and Cylinder 2 misfire pending.
First image is from Cylinder 1 second from Cylinder 2.
Cylinder 2 and 3 are almost like for like.
The peak current on primary only being 8amps compared to the 10amps
As well as the lack of spark line and the massive negative spike
At the end of the dwell period is concerning, I've swapped the coils around but wave form does not follow, I've not swapped the spark plug but I have inspected it with no obvious issues.
Cars less than a week old and only done 157miles.
Would I be right in chasing a secondary issue ie the plug.
Or would a faulty injector not injecting fuel to be looking at seen as we have a rising spark line?
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 days ago by nathan.thomas.burke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 days ago - 3 years 5 days ago #48307 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Misfire fault
Based on that waveform cylinder 2 I’d be looking for spark not making it into the combustion chamber.being that you current ramped the coil, if it were in the primary side you should see the fault. Since the fault isn’t apparent in the current primary it points to secondary. If you cut the burn line in half, anything to the left is not in the combustion chamber, anything to the right is inside the combustion chamber.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 3 years 5 days ago by John Curtis.

More
3 years 5 days ago #48308 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Misfire fault
It looks to me like spark is not taking place in the cylinder on #1? Being that there's no burn line and no turbulence taking place.

I think a stuck closed injector would look more like you described, with a rising burn line. A stuck open injector is possible. But, you'd likely also have white smoke out the exhaust, and severely diluted oil.

More
3 years 5 days ago #48317 by nathan.thomas.burke
Replied by nathan.thomas.burke on topic Misfire fault
No smoke out the back.
There's a spark event taking place in cyl1 hence the fire line, it's the burn that's doing nothing.
No fuel, less resistance for the spark to over coming meaning it requires lower current to operate. I think the injector is the area to attack

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds