Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Wiring up an ignition relay

More
3 years 1 week ago #48276 by Sandman
Hi guys,

Just curious on people’s thoughts.
I own a 82 Rx7 have just fitted a fuel
Injected turbo engine with an aftermarket ECU. And running LS2 coils (GM)
I initially was going to fit a relay to power up the coils.
But a retired electrician advised me not to as it’s “illegal here in NSW Australia. He said should the contacts fail the car could come to an immediate stop and possibly cause a accident. I’m finding it hard to believe as most modern cars run a relay for ignition for many reasons.

The aftermarket ECU wiring diagram does not show to run a relay just straight 15+.

What’s your thoughts? I thought a relay would be better than relying on 39year old wiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48277 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Wiring up an ignition relay

Sandman wrote: But a retired electrician advised me not to as it’s “illegal here in NSW Australia. He said should the contacts fail the car could come to an immediate stop and possibly cause a accident. I’m finding it hard to believe as most modern cars run a relay for ignition for many reasons.

I do not know the Laws of Australia but, a relay failing would be no more hazardous than running out of gas, or any other failure that results in loss of engine power. It is not advised to power a fuel pump in this manner, though. In the event of an accident, fuel could continue to be pumped after the engine stalls, creating a fire hazard.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
3 years 1 week ago #48278 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Wiring up an ignition relay
Electricians are wrong a lot :lol: Using a relay is likely better/safer than overloading the OE ignition switch and wiring, even if it is "illegal".

Agree with Chad that the fuel pump is the one that needs to be done right. The ECM should be able to control the relay for it so it turns off if the engine stalls.

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds