Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 Nissan Altima No Start with ECU Relay installed

More
3 years 1 week ago #48208 by Allbrant
Hello Danner. I'm a new member and thanks for the cool videos you've posted on youtube. Here's the problem I'm having. My son's 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5L was having issues. First, it wouldn't start one morning. Cranked but wouldn't start. So he checked and changed the cam and crank sensor. Still didn't start. So he changed the spark plugs and it started and ran. Then later on he would start it in the morning and go get gas and it wouldn't start. It would take some time for it to start. So one day we drove it till it got up to normal temp. Pulled over and turned off the engine. Then it happened again. No Start. Waited, then it eventually started. It had a new fuel pump, Cam and Crank sensor(Aftermarket. Maybe the problem), Sparkplugs. MAF Sensor. Then it got worse. It wouldn't even start and the fans just started going on. I removed the ECU Relay and it stopped. I put a jumper wire in the 30 & 87 pins and the car would start and run great. I pinpointed that there is a power ground wire that is triggered from the ECM to the Relay. I even had the ECM rebuilt and the company said that there was only an EFI transistor that needed replacing. I still have the same issue. Here's My question. What triggers the power ground to activate? Can it be the Cam or Crank sensor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48209 by Tutti57
Do the fans turn on still with the key on? This is a default if the ecm is offline. Are you able to communicate with the ecm? If so what are the specific codes?

It's a common mistake, but his name is actually Paul Danner aka scannerdanner.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Tutti57.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48211 by jreardon

Allbrant wrote: What triggers the power ground to activate?

I think simply turning the key to the ON position will activate the ECM relay. Reinstall ECM relay, key on engine off and check for battery voltage at the MAF. Load test a power feed wire at an ignition coil to be sure. A relay click doesn't mean it's good.

www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Altima%2F2004%2FEC.pdf
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by jreardon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57, Allbrant

More
3 years 1 week ago #48214 by John Curtis
there’s a whole lot of nissans that are effected with the failed ECM relays. Tell tell sign is to watch the check engine light and see if it flickers during crank. If you have the old sensors I’d suggest putting them back in. Especially if the replacements have a wallet with wings.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48226 by Allbrant
When I plug in the jumper wire on the 30 & 87 ECU relay the car works normally. With the relay in the fans go on and no communication for codes.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48227 by Allbrant
I switched the relay with 3 other relays and same result.

More
3 years 1 week ago #48231 by John Curtis
Verify control. I’ve included a diagram if you need it.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allbrant

More
2 years 10 months ago #49144 by Allbrant
What activates the Wite and black wire?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49145 by Cheryl
Use test light connected to ground and back probe the black and white wire. Should energize the relay if the wire is good from pcm to relay.

More
2 years 10 months ago #49146 by Allbrant
If it doesn't what could cause it not to activate? Bad Crank, cam sensors? Bad ignition switch?

More
2 years 10 months ago #49148 by Cheryl
You need to check pins 6 and 14 at the data link connector. Battery unhooked. Should see close to 60 ohms. And if the relay doesn’t activate doing that test before you need to check the wire for an open.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds