Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

5 volt reference signal

More
2 years 11 months ago #48196 by stanmccle
On my 2014 chevy silverado engine which has a converted harness to engine and transmission stand alone. I have all of my ecm wires requiring voltage and all of my grounds in place. I have this harness on my table checking circuits with ecm powered and grounded. No sensors hooked up. I have tried 3 different ecm's and no 5 volt reference signal. I also at one time had the harness on my engine completely wired and no 5 volt reference. The 3 ecm's all have Vatts still active. Would the Vatts prevent a 5 volt reference. Need help!

stanley mcclellan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48197 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic 5 volt reference signal
in my experience vats disables fuel pump and starter. I’d recheck powers and grounds while the unit is plugged in.

If still no 5v ref then you have something pulling it down or a bad module.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanmccle

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48198 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 5 volt reference signal
I agree with John. I have never seen anti-theft kill 5 volt ref.

I don't know if this is the BEST route, or not, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I think I would snip the 5 volt ref wires, one at a time, at the ECM connectors (leaving plenty of room to spice them back together). If the wiring harness is, internally shorted, when you snip the shorted 5v ref wire, the 5v ref should return on the ECM Connector side of the snip, and the rest of the 5v ref circuits. The part I don't like about this is that it looks like there are 9 different 5v ref outputs from the ECM. Most of them will be the same circuit INSIDE the ECM. However, looking at the schematics, it looks like this vehicle may have two, separate, 5v ref circuits, internal to the ECM (wht/red and brn/red).

Connector #1

Connector #2

Connector #3

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Chad.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds