Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Renault Scenic 2002 strange ABS sensor readings

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48117 by ThingWizard
Hi!

I'm troubleshooting an ABS light on my Renault Scenic 2002 and my reader gives me strange speed readings on the wheel sensors.
There is a trouble code that says front right sensor error, front right stays at 0km/h, explaining the trouble code but the other sensor readings are also stuck at 7km 434km/h and 1536 km/h respectively. They don't change when I'm driving either. I can't remember exactly but I think the strange readings came after I reset the fault code.

[img

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong here? It seems strange that all readings are crazy like this. Also the tool reports abs supply voltage at 0V, but I can still talk to the ABS computer, and pulling the fuse i cannot do that. So what supply voltage is the computer talking about here?
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by ThingWizard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48139 by ThingWizard
Of course I'm elated that the left rear wheel is supersonic at Mach 1.2 , but thats beside the point :lol:

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #48140 by ThingWizard
Update: I did some more thinking and tinkering.

Every time I access the ABS system with the scan tool, there is a relay click and it feels like the whole ABS unit resets. This is followed by the dashboard blinking ABS, SERV, STOP and parking brake lights simultaneously. This blink is active as long as I'm reading the ABS system, as soon as I escape out to the subsystem menu on the scanner the warning lights go out.

I have tried reading the ABS system with some other renault models set on the scanner that are similar, early laguna for example. Now if I read using the laguna codes I get the same warning blink but I get different speeds from the sensor.

So Im thinking, the scantool is correct in reading the diagnostic trouble code for right front sensor, but that there is some kind of incompatibility with my scantool (Launch CRP 123) accessing the data stream, you know bits and bobs might be different to what the scan tool thinks. This would explain the strange speed readings. I don't think it's the ABS computer miscalculating all sensor speeds, in that case it would give me more than one diagnostic code for one wheel.

So in short, I think the right hand front sensor is faulty, and I think the other readings are due to my scantool not understanding the car.

What do you think of my reasoning here?

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds