Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Downgrade HID to Halogen or LED

More
3 years 1 month ago #48055 by cadman777
Hey guys,

This is sort-of an electronics inquiry.

Here's the back story:
I'm working on a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 5.7L w/bi-HID headlights.
I need specs on the system to make sure I don't hurt the BCM or other electronics.

The headlight assemblies are bad b/c FCA Designed them Bad(!).
They cost over $3K to replace new, and used are junk well into $1.5k, so no sense in throwing good money after bad.

The guy bought Spyder Signature series headlight assemblies to replace the factory ones.
But these new ones only use Halogen bulbs (or maybe I can do LED if I pick the right ones to fit the short cavity).
The low beams are projector type and the high beams are straight Halogen (no projector) in a typical parabolic 'dish'.

Has anybody done a HID downgrade to Halogen or LED on a system like this?
Does anybody know if I need to do anything special to accomplish this?

If I go halogen I'll get Osram Night Breaker Laser or the equivalent in Sylvania, Phillips or GE.
If I go with LED, then maybe someone knows of a QUALITY kit that works (since aftermarket LED 'upgrade' kits are mostly garbage)?

Thanx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #48108 by cadman777
I did it today.
Just split the bi-HID for the 2 separate bulbs (hi & low).
Signal, side marker and parking lights connectors plugged right in.
Works great.
Only thing is, no DRL.
Maybe I'll try to retrofit the auto-leveling motors to these headlight assemblies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds