Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FORD DTC CODE P0087:Fuel pressure to low in the fuel rail system

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47756 by Peterpaul
2014 ford fusion 2.0l
p0087 code is displayed on the scanner.
Customer compliant: long crank time to start and poor acceleration. Customer has changed the low and high pressure fuel sensors in the line and on the rail.
Customer has also installed a used high pressure mechanical fuel pump on the engine. I cannot find a port on the rail to install a mechanical fuel pressure gauge.

Q. can you please tell me where and what the fuel pressures should be on the low or high pressure sensors during load or acceleration.

Q. I have ohmed out the two wires on the high pressure fuel pump. What should the resistance values be for this solenoid ? If I remove the 2 wire connector from the high pressure fuel pump solenoid what happens to the pump pressure? Does the computer put it in limp mode or does it try to boost the pressure to give the car what it need to run correctly .
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47759 by Cheryl
What is the low side and high side pressures during the long crank time?? Should have an actual and desired pressure. If the low side isn’t performing right the high side definitely won’t.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47761 by Cheryl
Also check them key on engine off and look for fuel pressure bleed off

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47778 by Cheryl
Also make sure the customer put the roller back in when they did the high pressure pump. I seen that done on a traverse they put a new high pressure pump in left the roller out that rides on the camshaft that drives the shaft of the pump

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47780 by Peterpaul
the roller is in . I verified this . I pulled the high pressure pump to make sure . I will check the pressures and get back with you .

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47918 by Peterpaul
Cheryl , thanks again for your technical expertise.

The car did not have a long crank time yesterday when I recorded these readings.

KOEO all readings are in PSI

Fuel rail pressure 871.4
Fuel rail pressure desired 53.6
Low side fuel pressure 75.61
Low side fuel pressure desired 59.16
Low side fuel pressure voltage 2.24

KOER
Fuel rail pressure 81.1
Fuel rail pressure desired 416.1
Fuel rail pressure voltage 0.5 V

Low side fuel pressure 79.24
Low side fuel pressure desired 81.78
Low side fuel pressure voltage 2.29

BLEED BACK with KOEO
Fuel rail pressure 201.5 rail pressure started going up.
Fuel rail pressure desired 53.6 .

I have also been working with Tyler on this as well. He had me perform more system checks over last weekend. I will see if he can add what troubleshooting checks that we did.

thanks again for all your help ,

Peterpaul

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47927 by Cheryl
During the koer your fuel rail pressure is 81.1 but desired says 416.1. That’s on the high side right? Because your low side looks good koer low is 79 desired 80 psi. Almost looks like the high pressure pump is bad.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47928 by Cheryl
Wonder if that used pump the customer put on was actually any good. I’d be half tempted to try a new one

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47939 by Peterpaul
yes , that is correct . That is on the high side.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47940 by Peterpaul
If I unplug the high pressure fuel pump, and my low side desired and actual are still with in 5 psi of each other will that confirm that I need a high pressure fuel pump?. Around 50 60 psi.
thanks again for all your help

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47943 by Peterpaul
He wants to buy a pump (it comes in a box) on line for $120.00 I asked him , how do you know it is new and it is good. His answer: It comes in a box. You just can't make this stuff up.

I will tell him to order the pump:)

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47944 by Cheryl
Yea I’d say the low pressure pump is good. If the desired vs actual are that close to each other. And there’s no bleed back with key on engine off.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47945 by Cheryl
Maybe get a used one locally at a wrecking yard??

More
3 years 1 week ago #48086 by Cheryl
Have any update on if it’s fixed or no?

More
3 years 1 week ago #48105 by derekoliveira
Rail pressure sensor can be the culprint.

More
3 years 5 days ago #48233 by Peterpaul
installed a new fuel pump Sunday April 12th . the car still hard a long crank time when cold. The customer came by , and I let him drive the car while I was watching the scanner. The car accelerated from 0-to 60 MPH with no problem . Customer was happy. Put 10 miles on the car. came back to the shop and had his wife drive the car while I sat in the passenger seat. same thing the car accelerated with no problem. She said "this is the best this car has ever run". Thought great, Monday is looking better already. Anyhow the car came back Monday afternoon with the same problem.Check engine light on , long crank time and poor acceleration. Performed a fuel volume test with the KOEO and very little fuel filled the bottle. Not sure where to go from here. during the drives with both drivers fuel pressured desired did get up to 1400 PSI at 60 mph. Do you think the electric fuel pump screen is restricted? there is no external fuel filter on these cars either. I was trying to power brake the car to see if the fuel psi would get to 2000 psi in drive. Fuel pressure desired only rose to 388 psi . anyhow , if you have any other tests or throughs about this car and what else I can do , please let me know and again thanks for all your help.

More
3 years 5 days ago #48234 by Peterpaul
the customer put in a new rail sensor. I will double check with him tomorrow to make sure it was not a used one .

More
3 years 5 days ago #48235 by Peterpaul
if it is bad , would I get a code on the scanner?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48408 by Peterpaul
ok the ford focus now has rail pressure that matches desired pressure. IN order to fix this problem, I had to remove the PCM and check the wires to see if any of them where loose. Yes two connector ends were pushed out of the socket. Apparently this car was in an accident six months ago and the PCm was replaced. On one of the harnesses the handle that locks it in was gone.
Anyhow, the loose wires fixed the low high pressure fuel pump.
The car has no long crank time and acceleration is great..
However, I now have a P0203 number three injector code : defined as Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Malfunction. it is intermittent. Performed a visual and a shake test to the parts of the harness to see if i could pin point the open. No luck

So for now the vehicle will go back to the customer and we will see if they will want to fix the code issue at another time. This code will not hurt the
engine right?
lesson learned:
1. get has much information as possible from the customer up front. I had this car for three weeks before anything was mentioned about the PCM R/R .
2. When working with fuel pressure issues for these newer cars you need a scanner that can read wave forms. In talking with Tyler if I had one to use we would have found this problem a lot earlier at the high pressure fuel solenoid .
ANYHOW, THANKS FOR ALL YOU INPUT AND HELP .
CHERYL YOU AND TYLER ARE FREAKING AWESOME.
REMEMBER: TEST AND DON'T GUESS :o)

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds