Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 dodge ran 5.9L cummins 3rd gen

More
3 years 2 months ago #47512 by Mike T
Okay guys im working on a Cummins with exhaust gas in the coolant system. I did a compression test and #5 and #6 was a little low on compression.
i thought thats where the head gasket is leaking. pulled the head off and i have inspected the crap out of the head gasket and cant see where the coolant was getting in. the only sign was the #4 cylinders valves are cleaner then the other ones. but i cant see where the coolant got in. they say you cant tell by looking but i have before but then one there is no sign. i checked the valves for leaks and found one valve on #6 was leaking. but still no sign on why #5 cylinder would have low compression or where the coolant got in or gasses got out. the cylinders still have hash marks in them so at some point this was rebuilt. and they look good. Any ideas or thoughts about this???? This is my first 3rd gen head gasket but i have done 2ed gens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47547 by Wolfman
Cracked head perhaps?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike T

More
3 years 2 months ago #47550 by AJeep18
Yeah we always have the heads magnifluxed just in case. I agree that you can sometimes tell where the head gasket was leaking, but it also depends on how severe the leak was. How low on compression were those cylinders?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike T

More
3 years 2 months ago #47553 by Mike T
The compression was around 300 but that was stuck valves I’m pretty sure. I found one on #6 and yeah I’m going to have the head valves done and magnafluxed. I just hate I can’t see the problem

More
3 years 2 months ago #47554 by Mike T
I don’t see a problem but it will be checked before I go together with it for sure.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47555 by Mike T
What have you guys been working on here lately? Feels like I have been getting my but kicked here lately lol. I have been getting them all fixed right but stressful lol. But I think that’s because here lately I’m getting in more jobs.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds