Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Catalytic Converter Basics...

More
3 years 2 months ago #47435 by tmcquinn
Learning something new on the internet always starts with filtering out the bad advice and learning from the good. Can someone tell me if I'm at least understanding the basics of catalytic converters? I deeply regret not taking any chemistry in school some days.

Precious metals in a muffler-like container require heat (mainly the exhaust), a 14.7/1 air fuel mixture (well, approximately), and an exhaust free of oil, coolant and other contaminants. But it has to perform 2 separate chemical reactions - oxidation & reduction. The oxidation will remove carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons by combining them with oxygen the cat has stored. The reduction will break apart the various oxides of nitrogen into oxygen & nitrogen, making them no longer a smog component. Pretty good for a simple pipe with a few special metals in it. BUT, in order for it to work, the cat requires periods of rich & lean (it will store oxygen when lean for the oxidation). So instead of getting the mixture to a 14.7/1 ratio and keeping it there, the ECU will deliberately cycle the mixture between slightly rich and slightly lean.

Before I write more (maybe a lot), do I have the basics right? No sense making you read more if my understanding is way off.

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47440 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Catalytic Converter Basics...

tmcquinn wrote: So instead of getting the mixture to a 14.7/1 ratio and keeping it there, the ECU will deliberately cycle the mixture between slightly rich and slightly lean.

I don't claim to understand the magic that happens in a Cat. But, it is my understanding that the Rich/Lean switching is a result of the ECU TRYING to maintain a perfect 14.7:1 ratio. Variable conditions make it impossible to maintain a perfectly solid 14.7:1 ratio. Like steering a car, to maintain driving in a straight line, the steering wheel is constantly adjusting left and right.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
3 years 2 months ago #47461 by Wolfman
You’ve got the basics right

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds