Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Electrical problem

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 1 month ago #47393 by YOTA3119
Electrical problem was created by YOTA3119
-UPDATE-
REPLACED THE RELAY FOR THE STARTER (AGAIN) AND NOW WHEN I HOOK THE BATTERY UP IT TRIES TO START WITHOUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION..
ORIGINAL POST
I have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, sport edition. V6 4.0L automatic. I had to replace the fuse box under the hood do to a small fire that just melted the lid of the fuse box to its self. The fire was caused by poor choices of a certain someone and was NOT caused by anything to do with 4runner. Long story short after a lot of patients and time I re wired the wiring harnesses one by one. Now I turn the key I have power and everything works except for it will not start. Won't even turn over. No clicking noise or anything. I'm kind of lost on what it could be. I've triple checked all my wire's and am no seeing anything wrong in that aspect.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by YOTA3119.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47394 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic Electrical problem
If you have not replaced the relays after the incident i would test/replace them

More
3 years 2 months ago #47396 by dhoagland
Replied by dhoagland on topic Electrical problem
Have you tried to power the starter solenoid directly?

More
3 years 2 months ago #47408 by YOTA3119
Replied by YOTA3119 on topic Electrical problem
Yes I've replaced all relay's and fuse's

More
3 years 2 months ago #47410 by YOTA3119
No I have not tried to power the solenoid direct I will try that.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47411 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Electrical problem
Make sure the engine block ground is good. Use test light to battery negative to engine block should no light while cranking car. Or use multi meter from battery negative to engine block should stay close to 0 while cranking

More
3 years 1 month ago #47418 by Nelson60
Replied by Nelson60 on topic Electrical problem
If you have a pair of jumper cables, connect one end to battery negative, the other end of same cable to engine block somewhere such as alternator bracket. See if engine will now crank and run
If so, you have a ground problem

More
3 years 1 month ago #47457 by YOTA3119
OK so replaced the relay for the starter (again) and with NO key in the ignition it tried to turn over when I hooked the battery up..

More
3 years 1 month ago #47525 by Lowboybrian
Replied by Lowboybrian on topic Electrical problem

YOTA3119 wrote: OK so replaced the relay for the starter (again) and with NO key in the ignition it tried to turn over when I hooked the battery up..

I would pull the starter relay... then hook up the battery. If it doesn't activate the starter... check the pins for the relay and see what you have power on. I don't know exactly how that specific system is controlled... but you should have 2 powers but 1 may only have power with the key in the start position. If you have 2 powers with the key off... check the ground pin for a good ground. If you have all 3 with the key off... I'm guessing your control wire is shorted to B+ which will activate the starter relay the moment it is plugged in even with the key off. If that is the case I would certainly start tracing that wire where you had your fire. These are my thoughts... maybe someone else has a different approach.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47538 by YOTA3119
When I hook the battery up without the starter relay I can hear a short click noise like the starter tries to engage. But it's just one short click.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47643 by YOTA3119
Where would the precise location of pin 87 be located? Going to have to dumb it down for me here lol

More
3 years 1 month ago #47650 by MGNut
Replied by MGNut on topic Electrical problem
One of the best investments I've made in the world of DIY auto repair (for my '96 Tacoma), is a factory service manual and a factory wiring diagram. Sounds like you would really benefit from a wiring disgram. I picked mine up on ebay for not too much $.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds