Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Open loop at idle

More
3 years 2 months ago #47336 by Charlie 89
Open loop at idle was created by Charlie 89
Hi everyone I have a 97 nissan sentra 1.6 (My mom's car) at idle fuel system is open loop temperature is working fuel trim is in the 3 so all looks good at least to me if I rev the engine car goes in close loop but once at idle it switch's to open loop. Ok so back story my brother over heated this car head cracked (water pump was leaking) . I replaced head and now car is running great no problems it's been 3 months since I fixed it now it's time to get it inspected I checked today and see I have 3 incomplete ( 02 sensor, cat, EVAP system) that's when I saw the issue with the open fuel trim . I'm thinking best thing to do is replace both 02 sensor maybe they got messed up when the car over heated the car runs great no issue I did notice that with open loop both 02 sensor 1 and 2 read the same when I idle I can see faster switching in sensor 1 I also looked inside the catalytic converter when I had it out and it was not broken or blocked . If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47348 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Open loop at idle
First thought is temperature sensors. What does IAT and ECT Read on a cold engine? What does it read when warmed up?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47355 by Charlie 89
Replied by Charlie 89 on topic Open loop at idle
I checked this morning before going to work . (Outside temperature was 37 degrees) ECT 41 degree
IAT 44 degree . By the way when the car reached 87degree it went closed loop but once it hit 107 degree it went open loop and stayed open endless I gave it gas .
At 186 degree ECT ,
IAT was 87 degree
Also IMAP was 11.7
I will back prob the 02sensors today and see if they are working

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds