Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

'15 Silverado 5.3L - In-cylinder interpretation

More
3 years 2 months ago #47076 by Tyler
Wanted to check with the brain trust around here to make sure I'm on the right track with this diagnosis.

This L83 will start to misfire on #7 during a WOT run, and continue to misfire for 30-60 seconds afterwards, at which point #7 starts contributing again. No, the injector is not getting shut off. Ignition waveform during the misfire shows a very low firing line, suggesting low compression. An audible relative compression with no miss present sounds perfect. Same test with the miss present has a distinct problem.

After awhile, I get the timing right and pull into my bay with the miss present. Because of the intermittent nature of the problem, I don't believe I have time to remove the valve cover to see which rocker isn't moving. The problem will have gone away by then. But I feel like I can get a plug out and the PV350 installed.

Here's a clear flood crank, followed by running at idle. 1mV = 1 PSI:

Here's a closer view of the cranking pressures:

At this point, I feel confident there's an AFM problem. Very likely an intake lifter that's intermittently collapsing. BUT, I also wonder about a failing VLOM , causing both valves to stick closed. I've never seen it, but the intermittent nature of the problem has me worried.

My question to the brain trust is: Do I have enough evidence here to confidently say ONLY the intake valve is stuck closed during this capture? And therefore that the cylinder heads are coming off. My understanding is that, if both valves were stuck closed, I'd be seeing two (low) compression events. One like normal and one in the exhaust section. The fact that the exhaust section is going to atmospheric suggests that the exhaust valve did indeed open.

"Tyler, why didn't you get the Pico out with an ignition sync and an intake pulse waveform? And why didn't you use the kPa setting on the PV350?" :lol: I wish I could have. Time was short, and the Pico was on the other end of the shop watching a parasitic drain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #47077 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Do I have enough evidence here to confidently say ONLY the intake valve is stuck closed during this capture? And therefore that the cylinder heads are coming off.

I'd say you called it right. You can, clearly, see a defined pressure change in the "expansion pocket", before the cylinder reaches BDC, indicating EVO.

My understanding is that, if both valves were stuck closed, I'd be seeing two (low) compression events. One like normal and one in the exhaust section. The fact that the exhaust section is going to atmospheric suggests that the exhaust valve did indeed open.

I believe, you are right on the money, here, too. If BOTH valves were stuck shut, there would be no distinguishing between compression and exhaust strokes. Or, expansion and intake strokes.

"Tyler,...why didn't you use the kPa setting on the PV350?" :lol: I wish I could have. Time was short

If you want, I can teach you how to push that button VERY quickly. ;) :whistle:

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
3 years 2 months ago #47078 by Matt T

Tyler wrote: My understanding is that, if both valves were stuck closed, I'd be seeing two (low) compression events. One like normal and one in the exhaust section. The fact that the exhaust section is going to atmospheric suggests that the exhaust valve did indeed open.

Agreed on seeing some compression at the end of the exhaust stroke. But what really makes me confident the exhaust valve is opening is the sharp rise to atmospheric which appears to be occurring before power stroke BDC. I doubt leakage past the rings could cause that.

Regards the VLOM take a look at the following link. I'd also pull all the DoD spark plugs to see how they look before selling anything.

www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/...-Issues-3.1.18-1.pdf

Tyler wrote: "Tyler, why didn't you get the Pico out with an ignition sync and an intake pulse waveform? And why didn't you use the kPa setting on the PV350?" :lol: I wish I could have. Time was short, and the Pico was on the other end of the shop watching a parasitic drain.

Coulda shoulda woulda :lol:

A 720* screenshot would help. And if Snappy have fixed SSC post up the capture file.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47079 by Chad

Matt T wrote: A 720* screenshot would help.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47085 by Tyler

Chad wrote: I'd say you called it right. You can, clearly, see a defined pressure change in the "expansion pocket", before the cylinder reaches BDC, indicating EVO.

But what really makes me confident the exhaust valve is opening is the sharp rise to atmospheric which appears to be occurring before power stroke BDC.

Duh. :silly: I dunno why I didn't realize that sooner. Even if the pressure during the exhaust stroke was elevated, EVO is still clearly taking place. Thanks guys. B)

While we're talking valve events, I also noticed after posting this thread that there is no real IVO after TDC-E.

If you want, I can teach you how to push that button VERY quickly. ;) :whistle:

I'm sorry! I'm a creature of habit. :blush:

Regards the VLOM take a look at the following link. I'd also pull all the DoD spark plugs to see how they look before selling anything.

www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/...-Issues-3.1.18-1.pdf

From the same document:

Code:
Any time an engine has failed AFM lifters the lifter guides must be replaced, the lifter bores must be measured, and the VLOM must also be tested for proper operation, or replaced. In addition the VLOM oil filter must be replaced as well.

Great suggestion. If we do the repair, it's getting guides and a VLOM.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #47086 by Noah
That looks just like the captures I have from some hemis with stuck closed intake valves. Looks like you nailed it to me.
Considering it's intermittent it's probably not a (completely) wiped cam lobe.

Side note, the refrigerant pressure sensors have way more resolution than that pv350 set to psi.
If you have time to play I'd like to see the difference set to kpa.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Noah.

More
3 years 2 months ago #47088 by Matt T

Noah wrote: Side note, the refrigerant pressure sensors have way more resolution than that pv350 set to psi.

Side side note, did you ever manage to get one of those sensors to read a consistent voltage at atmospheric pressure?

More
3 years 2 months ago #47096 by Dtnel
@Tyler you ever play with the mask or as some call it the Masking feature on the Picoscope?

Sounds like the boss needs a 2nd Pico or go for broke & have him get the ATS E-Scope 4 or 8 with the IEA KIT.

If he's got the $$$ they say the 8 Channel setup is the way to go. Bernie makes it look like a Sunday cakewalk but he's been using for years and years.

Did you confirm the villain yet?

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #47100 by Chad
One more thing I would like to throw out there for anyone just learning in-cylinder waveforms. Since this thread has a stuck closed intake valve problem, I though I would post a waveform of a NORMAL/GOOD cranking in-cylinder waveform.

In a cranking in-cylinder waveform, the intake stroke event is, usually, not very defined. The slow speed of the crankshaft does not draw the piston down fast enough to create much, if any, vacuum. The result is a, near, flat-line between the expansion pocket and the compression stroke. Many people, mistakenly, think the intake valve didn't open because they see no defined intake event. Tyler's waveform proves that the opposite is true. If the intake valve doesn't open, the in-take vacuum in-cylinder will be DEEP, and round.

The fact that Tyler's cranking waveform has a very defined intake vacuum that exceedes the limit of the Scope/Transducer is a quick/clear indicator of no IVO.

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Dtnel

More
3 years 2 months ago #47101 by AJeep18
Explanation is much appreciated Chad :)

• Noah
More
3 years 2 months ago #47102 by Noah

Matt T wrote:

Noah wrote: Side note, the refrigerant pressure sensors have way more resolution than that pv350 set to psi.

Side side note, did you ever manage to get one of those sensors to read a consistent voltage at atmospheric pressure?

Yes! I stopped using AC coupling on the scope whenever I use the transducer now for consistent measurement.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt T

More
3 years 2 months ago #47105 by Tyler

If you have time to play I'd like to see the difference set to kpa.

Ugh, FINE. :lol: I'll take another capture if the stupid truck is still there on Monday.

• Noah
More
3 years 2 months ago #47107 by Noah
Don't let me twist your arm or anything ;)

More
3 years 2 months ago #47115 by Chad
All the cool kids are using kpa. B)

More
3 years 2 months ago #47136 by Tyler
Truck left last week. :( You'll have to suffice with my lame kid PSI capture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds